Nokia’s App Social is a clever app for users. It’s in the Nokia Collection, so exclusive to Lumia owners. However, it’s still a pretty fun way to discover new apps in the Store. App Social is a place where a social network becomes a great place for app discovery. It started out in beta as App Highlights before graduating to App Social. Now there’s a new a new beta version of App Social for you to try out, so let’s check it out.
Head to the Windows Phone Store and you’ll see “AppSocial betalabs”, this is app gives you a first look at changes coming to App Social. If you like to live life on the edge and run beta software, give it a try. Here’s what is different and new:
- The team has been hard at work updating the App Social UI so it is more in line with the Lumia suite of apps
- We've added a first time user tutorial, to familiarize users with the key functions of App Social (and its always available for reference in Menu -> About)
- The pivots have been re-order. They now appear as Spotlight, App Feed, Leaderboard, Featured, Log-in/Profile
- New collection layout on Spotlight and Featured pivot with rotating carousel of cool Apps, Collections, and Users
- Redesigned App Feed page with user entries group by day, ability to follow right from entry in feed, and tools for merchandizers to promote popular global and local users in the feed
- New Leaderboard categories and use of a trending algorithm to ensure leaderboard is updated and fresh
- Now featuring Live Tile with backflip
The new tutorial greets you when you first launch the app and will be incredibly beneficial to new users. Overall, the app itself has been given a redesign. The focus is on now on promoting users, discovering apps, driving app downloads for developers, and more.
The new leaderboard section is really cool. It has categories like “most loved” and “most listed” that dynamically change to stay updated and fresh by using a new trending algorithm. This is a great place for users to potentially attract more followers and certain apps to get more downloads.
This beta of App Social shows you the general direction that Nokia is taking with the app, but you can help influence it by providing feedback and suggestions. Reach out to Nokia’s Vincenzo Belpiede on Twitter (@vincebelpide) to provide feedback. He’s the main guy behind App Social and values any community input.
Want to try out the latest beta for App Social? Of course you do, so go to the Windows Phone Store to get it, use the QR code below, or swipe to the right in our app.
Thanks for the tip alv3st3r!
Join us LIVE for the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30PM ET
We're LIVE with the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30pm ET, make sure you're there!
Project Andromeda: The secret history of Windows on Surface Duo
Here at Windows Central, we've been following Microsoft's Surface Duo project for quite some time. We first wrote about Microsoft's dual-screen pocket PC efforts under the codename Andromeda in 2017, and I had started hearing about the project a considerable time before then. It was originally going to be a Windows device, and kickstart Microsoft's mobile efforts with a brand new,...
Review: Maingear Turbo has crazy compact gaming power, but it'll cost you
The Maingear Turbo aims to eke as much power out of a small, ITX design as possible. It very much meets those expectations and then some with a gorgeous custom liquid cooling system. But is it worth the high price of admission? Let's check it out.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.