If you have yourself a Surface RT or Surface Pro you’re going to be getting some updates today. The second Tuesday of each month is when Microsoft releases security patches on what is known as Patch Tuesday. Today is that day and with those security patches you’ll also be getting some firmware updates for your Surface RT and Pro. Let’s check it out.
The update for both Surface RT and Pro are for ones running Windows 8 and not the 8.1 Preview. So what’s in store for folks on Windows 8?
Surface RT / Windows 8
- A Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware update that optimizes the audio experience at low volumes and removes a perceived pulsing in audio volume for some content
- An update to system drivers that enhance stability and reliability
Surface Pro / Windows 8
- A UEFI and System Aggregator (SAM) firmware update that enhances system stability, reliability, reduces power consumption, and improves touch latency with the touchpad on the Surface Type Cover and Surface Touch Cover
But don’t worry, if you’re running the Windows 8.1 Preview there are some updates ready for you as well. Checking out our Surface Pro with the Windows 8.1 Preview we noticed some updates waiting as well. Here’s what you get.
Surface Pro / Windows 8.1 Preview
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2862772)
- Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2871676) – This update resolves Flash video quickly lightens and darkens during playback. This causes a flickering effect.
- Update for Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2875111) – This update fixes for adaptive streaming and Digital Rights Management (DRM) playback features for Internet Explorer 11 Preview in the OS.
- Update for Windows 8.1 Preview (KB2875636) – Fixes for adaptive streaming and DRM playback features in the operating system.
Before this update anytime we’d try and play videos through YouTube in Internet Explorer we would have a flickering effect on our Surface Pro. Now that issue has been resolved in the latest update.
Benchmarking the new Surface Book 3 15 with GTX 1660 Ti and 10th Gen i7
Although it's too early for a review, here are some initial benchmarks from the new Surface Book 3 15-inch with a Core i7 and NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Ti (Max-Q) and how it compares to Surface Book 2 and other premium laptops. Spoiler: While the CPU is just OK, that 1660 Ti definitely bumps up the Book 3's potential.
HP devices are facing BSOD and boot loops, but HP appears to have a fix
HP users saw some serious issues with PCs over the weekend, including the Blue Screen of Death and boot loops. Now, an update from HP might fix the issue.
Minecraft Dungeons Ultimate Guide: Everything you need to know
Minecraft Dungeons is here, and it's time to run through everything you need to know about the game.
Spruce up your Surface Pro with these awesome accessories
Whether you are using your Surface as your main computer or as a secondary device, you are going to want to make sure it's decked out with all the best gear. We've rounded up a bunch of worthwhile accessories right here.