Microsoft today released the Windows 10 Preview for a subset of Lumia Windows Phones. Many questions abound about the update, as some phones are getting it, and others are not. Our AT&T Lumia 830, fresh out of the box with build 14157 of the Windows Phone 8.1.1 OS is getting the update while our Lumia 830 (UK, with Developer Preview) is not.
Here is how to try and get the update for your Windows Phone, assuming your phone meets the requirements.
- Download the Windows Insider App from the Store (Or scan QR code below)
- Launch the app and login with your Microsoft Account, also make sure you are enrolled in the Insider program (insider.windows.com)
- Choose Insider Slow or Fast, depending on how risky you want to be and how quickly you want updates
- Confirm your acceptance of the Insider program, including the fact you may void your device's warranty
- Hit the check mark
- Go to Settings
- Phone Update
- Check for Updates
- The phone may need to go through another step to get the Windows 10 build, as seen in the dialog screen below
Your phone should now start downloading the Windows 10 Preview update. You will want to be on Wi-Fi and make sure your battery is charged at least 40%.
It is not yet clear if the Preview for Developers program needs to be enabled or disabled during this process. We will update this story as more information becomes available.
Depending on how much storage you have on your phone, the update could take upwards of 20 minutes but it will vary. You may also need to update to Windows Phone 8.1 build 14219 first before going to Windows 10 for phone.