Have a Lumia handset that is bricked or not turning on? You could it send it back for repair. Or you could take the DIY approach and try fixing it yourself using the Nokia Recovery Software Tool. It's a desktop application that is aimed at getting your ailing Lumia back up and running. Here's a quick tutorial on how to use the software.
What you'll need
- A broken (but never down for the count) Lumia
- Nokia Recovery Software Tool
Where can I download the Nokia Recovery Software Tool?
Here you go. Follow the links below to grab the Windows desktop software:
What are the PC requirements to use this recovery tool?
- Microsoft Windows 7 or later.
- USB cable to connect your phone to the computer.
- Minimum 2 GB free storage space.
- The files downloaded by the Nokia Software Recovery Tool may be as much as 4GB, and may take a long time, depending on your internet connection and phone model.
Does this work with my Windows Phone from HTC, Samsung or another phone maker?
No. This software is just for Lumia handsets from Nokia.
Are you ready to save your Lumia?
Yes. Let's do this.
How to save your Lumia using Nokia Recovery Software Tool – the steps
- Download and install Nokia Recovery Software Tool
- Open Nokia Software Recovery Tool
- Connect your Lumia to the PC with a USB cable
- You'll see which software version you can install on your Lumia – Click install below that
- You will need to acknowledge that the data and content on your phone will be erased. If you can still access your phone, make a backup by going into settings -> backup . You'll also need to know that photos, music and apps will be wiped during this reset process. Click that you understand and then click continue.
- You'll now begin downloading the software. Network speeds vary, but your download might take about 15 minutes.
- The software will now begin installing to your phone. Do not use your phone or disconnect the cable during this step. Just go for a quick walk while your phone and PC do their thing.
- Ta-da! You're done and have just saved your phone!
Have any questions? Sound off below or hit me up on Twitter (@samsabri). Have you ever used the Nokia Recovery Software Tool to save your Lumia? Let us know how it went!
HP updates Reverb G2 ahead of launch, preorders start shipping in November
HP is finally nearly ready to start shipping its new Reverb G2 Windows Mixed Reality headset. Those who have already preordered the $600 headset should see them arrive in November, while anyone preordering after September 24 will see headsets arrive in December.
The 300Hz display on the Razer Blade 15 is way ahead of its time
Our favorite gaming laptop now has a 300Hz display option and it's smoother than your eyes can really see.
Microsoft aims to compete with PS5 in Japan with Xbox Series S price drop
Microsoft is cutting the cost of the PS5 in Japan to better position the console as a cheaper alternative to the PS5. The price drop was announced during the company's first appearance at the Tokyo Game Show in six years.
Pump up the jam with some new PC speakers
PC speaker preferences vary from person to person, as it really depends on your rig, set up and the space restrictions of your home or apartment — not to mention your budget.