Have a Lumia handset that is bricked or not turning on? You could it send it back for repair. Or you could take the DIY approach and try fixing it yourself using the Nokia Recovery Software Tool. It's a desktop application that is aimed at getting your ailing Lumia back up and running. Here's a quick tutorial on how to use the software.
What you'll need
- A broken (but never down for the count) Lumia
- Nokia Recovery Software Tool
Where can I download the Nokia Recovery Software Tool?
Here you go. Follow the links below to grab the Windows desktop software:
What are the PC requirements to use this recovery tool?
- Microsoft Windows 7 or later.
- USB cable to connect your phone to the computer.
- Minimum 2 GB free storage space.
- The files downloaded by the Nokia Software Recovery Tool may be as much as 4GB, and may take a long time, depending on your internet connection and phone model.
Does this work with my Windows Phone from HTC, Samsung or another phone maker?
No. This software is just for Lumia handsets from Nokia.
Are you ready to save your Lumia?
Yes. Let's do this.
How to save your Lumia using Nokia Recovery Software Tool – the steps
- Download and install Nokia Recovery Software Tool
- Open Nokia Software Recovery Tool
- Connect your Lumia to the PC with a USB cable
- You'll see which software version you can install on your Lumia – Click install below that
- You will need to acknowledge that the data and content on your phone will be erased. If you can still access your phone, make a backup by going into settings -> backup . You'll also need to know that photos, music and apps will be wiped during this reset process. Click that you understand and then click continue.
- You'll now begin downloading the software. Network speeds vary, but your download might take about 15 minutes.
- The software will now begin installing to your phone. Do not use your phone or disconnect the cable during this step. Just go for a quick walk while your phone and PC do their thing.
- Ta-da! You're done and have just saved your phone!
Have any questions? Sound off below or hit me up on Twitter (@samsabri). Have you ever used the Nokia Recovery Software Tool to save your Lumia? Let us know how it went!
Banish the quarantine malaise with this daily dose of good news
The world is a daunting place right now, and we could all use a little break. Here's a bit of good tech news to get you through your day with a smile on your face.
Windows Central readers embrace Skype, WhatsApp to stay connected
We asked you lovely folks what apps you were using to stay connected to friends and family while social distancing, and there were two clear winners: Skype and WhatsApp.
What do you think of Bing's new, curvy logo? (poll)
Bing has a new logo, and it's quite a bit curvier than the previous one. It also aligns with Microsoft's Fluent Design ethos. But, does it look good? Let us know what you think in our poll.
Up your VR immersion level with a fine HOTAS controller
Love flight or dogfighting games in VR? You could probably benefit from on of these HOTAS controllers. We've rounded up options for casual users and pros alike.