The Xbox Chatpad is the best typing accessory for Xbox One on the market, but a little-known fact is that it also works for Windows 10 gaming whenever you connect your Xbox One controller to your PC. Though it doesn't work straight out of the box, the steps in order to get it working are a breeze. Here's how to set it up.
Products used in this guide
- Microsoft: Xbox Chatpad ($35)
- Microsoft: Xbox One Wireless Controller ($60)
- Microsoft: Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 ($25)
Getting your controller connected
- Plug the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 into any open USB port on your Windows 10 computer.
- Press the connect button on the end of the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
- Power your Xbox Wireless Controller up by holding down the Xbox home button.
- Press the connect button on the back of the controller. This is the small, circular button between the triggers.
After a few seconds, the lights on both the adapter and the controller will go solid, confirming that your computer and controller are now connected.
Setting up the Xbox Chatpad
- Navigate to the Microsoft Store app on your Windows 10 PC.
- Download, install, and launch the free Xbox Accessories app.
- Clip the Xbox Chatpad into your Xbox Wireless Controller.
- Connect your Xbox Wireless Controller to your Windows 10 PC with the micro USB cable that came with your Chatpad.
- Allow theXbox Accessories app to install the necessary drivers needed for the Chatpad.
Now that your controller is wirelessly connected to your PC, and has been updated with the necessary drivers, you can now fully utilize the Xbox Chatpad with any controller-compatible game on Windows 10.
Our top equipment picks
The Xbox Chatpad is perfect for any PC gamer that prefers controllers, but doesn't want to lose the power that keyboards bring for in-game text chatting and hotkeys. It's durable, reliable, and comfortable to use, and it won't let you down.
Sleek, small, and efficient, there's simply no better way to connect your Xbox One controller to your Windows 10 device(s) than by using the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
The tried-and-true Xbox One Wireless Controller is one of Xbox's most popular controllers ever, and for good reason. Comfortable to use and built to last, it has earned its place in gaming history. The best part? You can often find some great deals for it.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.