January Slow Ring update now rolling out to Office Mobile Insiders with new features in tow
A fresh batch of updates are rolling out to Office Insiders in the Slow ring for the Office Mobile apps. January's monthly update includes a few tweaks and minor features for Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as some big new additions to OneNote.
Here's a look at what's new in the January update:
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Make your pictures pop: Add Shadow and Reflection to enhance pictures in your documents, workbooks, and presentations.
- Use Your pen to select and change objects: Now, you can use the Surface pen in Word to grab object handles to resize, rotate, move, and more.
- Open more files: You can now open many more types of files in Excel. For example, you can open files that contain form controls.
- Notes with style: Keep a consistent look across your notes when you use built-in styles for headings, quotes, code, and more.
- Insert space: Your page is full of notes, but you can add extra space in the left margin or the middle of the page with the magical Insert Space tool.
- Format painter: Magically copy your bold, italic, underlined, purple, 18 point, Lucida Sans formatting from one heading to another. Think of the time you'll save!
- Choose how you paste: When you paste, you can keep the original formatting, paste just the text, or paste as an image.
- Background pictures: Set a picture as the background of your notes so you can type right over it. This allows you to type over forms, or annotate pictures.
- Open multiple notebooks: Quickly open multiple notebooks to get to your content faster. Just tap the notebooks you want and open them all at once, rather than one-by-one.
- Show or hide authors: See other authors' initials next to their changes in a shared workbook, or hide the initials for a cleaner look.
- To check or not to check: Turn off the Check Spelling option when you just don't need it.
- Set your defaults: You know what you like. Pick your favorite font, size, and color to use as the default for new notes
If you're already a part of the Office Insider Slow branch, you should be able to grab the updates and start checking out all of the new features now. Otherwise, chime in with your favorite new tweak or feature in the comments!
Download Word from the Windows Store (opens in new tab)
Download Excel from the Windows Store (opens in new tab)
Download PowerPoint from the Windows Store (opens in new tab)
Download OneNote from the Windows Store (opens in new tab)
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the former Editor-in-Chief of Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl.
How do I join the Office Insiders program?
"use your surface pen" - in mobile? Um, did they just give something away?
No, the Office Mobile apps run on tablets too.
Does one note support Ink?
Does OneNote now sync? This problem has been with us for a long time now.
I wanna know, have they fix the problem with not english languages when all text into the note marked like mistakes because Onenote has not understood that this note was written to not english.