Providing kids the means to get a head start in life is the desire of any parent. To lend a helping hand when it comes to reading, Ladybird has released I'm Ready for Phonics on Windows 8. The app contains 12 levels to progress through, supporting the child's synthetic phonics learning at school. Not only is the app enjoyable, but children will also benefit from the content in the long run.
Synthetic phonics is the primary reading method taught in schools across the UK, but this technique may come across as complicated and possibly even daunting to both parents and children alike. Ladybird's I'm Ready for Phonics is an attempt to help ease children into the method of learning so they're ready to tackle what's thrown at them in school.
Here are some highlighted features of the app itself:
- Get your child ready for the Phonics Screening Check at the end of Year 1.
- Tested in schools with children who are currently being taught Phonics in Reception and Year 1.
- Fun, interactive space theme with 12 motivating levels to unlock and progress through.
- Learn, blend, segment and practice the 44 sounds of the English language.
- Contains a glossary to help you understand the technical phonics terms your child uses at school.
- Fully up-to-date and in line with the official Letters and Sounds document.
- Teaches initial letter sounds, phonemes (sounds) and graphemes (letters) in the order children learn them at school.
- Includes essential tricky words that cannot be sounded out – such as ‘the’ and ‘said’.
- Record your child’s voice as you practice the different phonemes together and then play them back.
- Test your phonics knowledge with the Phonics Challenge!
- Complete each activity to win a star!
You can rest assured that your child will have access to a practical and understandable guide to phonics. As an added bonus, Kate Ruttle, a literacy consultant and phonics expert with previous experience working with publishers, teachers and the government, worked with Ladybird in the production of content for the app.
If desired, parents can even manually unlock access to all the app's levels via the parent information screen. You can download Ladybird: I'm Ready for Phonics from the Windows Store.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Rich Edmonds was formerly a Senior Editor of PC hardware at Windows Central, covering everything related to PC components and NAS. He's been involved in technology for more than a decade and knows a thing or two about the magic inside a PC chassis. You can follow him on Twitter at @RichEdmonds.