Providing kids the means to get a head start in life is the desire of any parent. To lend a helping hand when it comes to reading, Ladybird has released I'm Ready for Phonics on Windows 8. The app contains 12 levels to progress through, supporting the child's synthetic phonics learning at school. Not only is the app enjoyable, but children will also benefit from the content in the long run.
Synthetic phonics is the primary reading method taught in schools across the UK, but this technique may come across as complicated and possibly even daunting to both parents and children alike. Ladybird's I'm Ready for Phonics is an attempt to help ease children into the method of learning so they're ready to tackle what's thrown at them in school.
Here are some highlighted features of the app itself:
- Get your child ready for the Phonics Screening Check at the end of Year 1.
- Tested in schools with children who are currently being taught Phonics in Reception and Year 1.
- Fun, interactive space theme with 12 motivating levels to unlock and progress through.
- Learn, blend, segment and practice the 44 sounds of the English language.
- Contains a glossary to help you understand the technical phonics terms your child uses at school.
- Fully up-to-date and in line with the official Letters and Sounds document.
- Teaches initial letter sounds, phonemes (sounds) and graphemes (letters) in the order children learn them at school.
- Includes essential tricky words that cannot be sounded out – such as ‘the’ and ‘said’.
- Record your child’s voice as you practice the different phonemes together and then play them back.
- Test your phonics knowledge with the Phonics Challenge!
- Complete each activity to win a star!
You can rest assured that your child will have access to a practical and understandable guide to phonics. As an added bonus, Kate Ruttle, a literacy consultant and phonics expert with previous experience working with publishers, teachers and the government, worked with Ladybird in the production of content for the app.
If desired, parents can even manually unlock access to all the app's levels via the parent information screen. You can download Ladybird: I'm Ready for Phonics from the Windows Store.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
How to (try to) get an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S right now
Everything you need to know about buying an Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, and where to find stock before it runs out.
Why is PS5 beating the Xbox Series X in comparisons? Microsoft responds.
The Xbox Series X seems to be losing out against the PlayStation 5 in real-world side-by-side tests, and Microsoft has issued a statement. Here's what they had to say.
The Black Friday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.