What you need to know
- The Microsoft Edge Dev channel received a new update today.
- The update brings a few new features, including a method to access tabs while in fullscreen mode.
- This release also throws in the usual batch of bug fixes and improvements.
Microsoft is out with its latest weekly release for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel. This week, there are a few new features worth checking out, along with the usual general batch of bug fixes and improvements. Most notably, this build adds what Microsoft unofficially refers to as "Shy UI," which allows you to access your tabs without exiting fullscreen mode.
Here's a rundown of everything that's new and improved in Microsoft Edge version 84.0.488.1:
- Added a dropdown UI when browsing in fullscreen mode to be able to access tabs and the address bar without exiting fullscreen (unofficially referred to as Shy UI).
- Added a management policy to prevent the creation of a desktop shortcut when Edge is installed.
- Added messaging to inform users when the internal PDF reader is disabled via the "Always Open PDF Externally" management policy.
- Fixed an issue where protected video on certain websites doesn't work.
- Fixed an issue dragging a tab out of a window sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where opening an InPrivate window on Mac crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where cancelling an autofill payment card authentication sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where navigating from an IE mode website to a non-IE mode website in the same tab sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to check for updates on edge://settings/help showed a "Could not create Component" error.
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud and Grammar Tools sometimes don't work.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes fail to open on devices with low battery.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where importing autofill data from other browsers sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where pinning websites to the Taskbar fails when the site's name is too long.
- Improved the number of situations where browser sign-in is supported even though the browser is running with admin privileges.
- Increased the languages supported for spellchecking when using the Windows-native spellchecker.
- Fixed an issue where a Jumplist is missing or incorrect after installing Edge.
- Fixed an issue where password fields on webpages sometimes can't be typed into.
- Fixed an issue where icons are missing from menus.
- Fixed an issue where text sometimes isn't visible in PDFs.
- Fixed an issue where the "Press F11 to exit full screen" notification sometimes appears on the wrong screen.
- Fixed an issue where deleting an item in History scrolls the page back to the top.
- Fixed an issue where websites that are added to Collections sometimes fail to load an accompanying image for its Collection item.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping items into a Collection sometimes results in images that don't load.
- Fixed an issue where some Collections UI isn't visible when the browser is using zoom levels > 100%.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the Touch Bar media scrubber sometimes doesn't appear on pages that have media.
- Fixed an issue where the Favorites bar or find on page popup sometimes aren't visible in the Shy UI.
- Fixed an issue where items on the Downloads shelf sometimes appear highlighted even when they're not being hovered over or clicked.
- Fixed an issue where form autofill sometimes suggests incorrect card or address info when some fields of a webpage are already filled in before autofill is triggered.
- Fixed an issue where the street portion of saved addresses can't be removed when editing a saved address in Settings.
- Changed Collections to use the name of the collection as the sheet name when exporting a collection to Excel. Disabled the Pinning Wizard in guest windows.
This is the first Dev channel release for major version 84. If you want to check it out, Dev channel testers can download the update now. Otherwise, the Dev, Beta, and Canary channels are all available through the Microsoft Edge Insider site. The release version is also available via the official Microsoft Edge site.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.