It was just over a week ago that Microsoft announced Update 3 (formerly known as GDR3) for Windows Phone 8. The update, due in the coming weeks for many Windows Phones, features numerous mid to low level fixes and improvements, including new hardware support for devices like the Lumia 1520.
Microsoft glossed over many of the changes in their official blog post, but they have now published the full changelog on the Windows Phone site.
The update refers to OS version 10501 and 10512, both of which are considered Update 3. While there are no surprises in Microsoft’s changelog, it’s still handy to have and to peruse in case you’re curious.
Windows Phone 8 Update 3 (build 10501, 10512)
- Accessibility. We've made several improvements for customers who are visually impaired.
- Storage. Now you can easily free up storage space on your phone and manage temporary files. New categories show what's taking up space.
- Driving Mode. Feeling distracted behind the wheel? Driving Mode allows you to minimize incoming calls and text messages to help you focus on the road.
- Screen. Reading emails in bed? You can lock your screen orientation so it doesn't shift when you move your phone around.
- Wi-Fi. Start preserving cellular data on your phone right out of the box—you can now connect to Wi-Fi during set up.
- Internet sharing. Now you can use your phone’s cellular data connection from your Microsoft Windows 8.1 devices by pairing them over Bluetooth.
- Bluetooth. Several fixes were made to address known issues, and improvements were made to connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.
- Ringtones. Do more with ringtones now. Assign ringtones for text messages, so you'll know who's texting you without even looking. Use your custom ringtones for more things—text messages, instant messages, emails, voicemail, and reminders.
- App switcher. Don't look back. Now you can use the App switcher to quickly close apps when you're finished with them.
- Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.
While none of those may blow anyone away, it’s the little things that matter for the user experience. We recently hard-reset one of our phones and having Wi-Fi available during the setup/out-of-box experience was tremendously helpful for restoring our phone’s settings, so we're glad to see it there.
What do you folks think of Update 3 so far, if you have the Preview version?
Source: Microsoft, Thanks, nawzil, for the tip
These are the best 27-inch monitors money can buy
A 27-inch monitor is just about the perfect size without having to sit too far away or whip your head back and forth to follow things across the screen. If you’re in the market for a new monitor, check out our top picks.
Add or upgrade the RAM in your MSI GE66 Raider with this guide
Have an MSI GE66 Raider without enough memory for your needs? Our guide walks you through what's needed to upgrade the RAM in your laptop.
The Razer Tomahawk is small in stature, but mighty in power
Razer has a new gaming PC on the scene, and this time it's a compact desktop. The Razer Tomahawk Gaming Desktop uses a variation of the Tomahawk case to bring a modular, powerful PC that's designed to take up very little of your desk space.
Here are the best Cyberpunk 2077 collectibles and merch
Cyberpunk 2077 is a huge game, and is accompanied by a massive pool of collectibles, accessories, and merch for everyone from hardcore collectors to dabbling fans. Here are the best collectibles and merch for Cyberpunk 2077.