Alongside a new Windows 10 Spring Creators Update preview build for Fast ring Insiders today, Microsoft has also rolled out a fresh build for Skip Ahead Insiders. The latest Redstone 5 preview release moves the build number up to 17623 and introduces a few new features, some of which were recently added to the Spring Creators Update testing branch as well.
Introducing High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) in Windows 10
External GPU Safe Remove Experience
A new privacy settings layout in the set up experience
Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) Improvements
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- For Windows Insiders in the Skip Ahead ring, we will begin testing a change where links clicked on within the Windows Mail app will open in Microsoft Edge, which provides the best, most secure and consistent experience on Windows 10 and across your devices. With built-in features for reading, note-taking, Cortana integration, and easy access to services such as SharePoint and OneDrive, Microsoft Edge enables you to be more productive, organized and creative without sacrificing your battery life or security. As always, we look forward to feedback from our WIP community.
- We fixed an issue where the Microsoft Store may be completely broken or disappeared altogether after upgrading to this build.
- We fixed two issues impacting the usability of Windows Mixed Reality on the previous build (Windows Mixed Reality running at a very low frame rate (8-10fps), and a potential crash at startup that could cause Windows Mixed Reality to not work).
- We fixed an issue resulting in not being able to interact with title bars using touch when Sets was enabled.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the touch keyboard crashing when focus was moved to certain password fields.
- We've improved the performance of Bluetooth mice when the system is under load.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights causing precision touchpads to periodically need a few tries to be able to move the mouse.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Amharic keyboard not working in Win32 apps.
- We fixed an issue where EFI and Recovery partitions were unexpectedly listed in Defragment and Optimize Drives.
- We fixed an issue optimizing drives in Defragment and Optimize Drives didn't work in the last few flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a permanently black window if you dragged a tab out of a Microsoft Edge window, pulled it up to the top edge of the screen, and moved it back down and released it.
- We've updated the Cortana section in Settings to now be called "Cortana & Search".
- We fixed an issue where you couldn't use touch to interact with the Timeline scrollbar.
- We fixed an issue where a failed app update could result in that app becoming unpinned from the taskbar.
- We fixed an issue where if focus was set inside Action Center pressing Esc wouldn't close the Action Center window.
- We fixed an issue that could result in ShellExperienceHost periodically waking the device from hibernate if active live tiles were pinned to Start.
If you're enrolled to receive Skip Ahead releases in the Windows Insider Fast ring, you should be able to snag this update via Windows Update now. For more, including the full list of known issues, be sure to check out Microsoft's ful lrelease notes.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.