Microsoft is finishing out the week with a new Windows 10 preview build for Fast ring Insiders. The latest release ticks the build number up to 17123 and includes a smattering of general fixes along with support for the High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) in Windows 10 and the Photos app. There are also still lignering issues to be aware of with Windows Mixed Reality.
Introducing High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) in Windows 10
Windows Mixed Reality
With this build, the Windows Mixed Reality Team would like to let you know about a few known issues as you try out the new Windows Mixed Reality features:
- We're investigating reports of a performance regression for Windows Mixed Reality on hybrid laptops on this build.
- In some cases, the inbox apps will fail to load inside of Windows Mixed Reality and newly placed Holograms may be empty. Restarting Windows Mixed Reality should resolve both issues.
- Occasionally there may be a long delay and restart of mixed reality when transitioning to a new place (Skyloft or Cliff House).
Since the last build, the following bugs should now be fixed:
- The ambient sound in Skyloft should now the correct volume.
- Launching the Store from Movies & TV should no longer crash either app.
- 360 videos should render correctly inside of the Edge app, and the 360 Viewer can be launched from directly from the Store app.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue from the last flight on PCs with the Dolby Access app installed and expired Dolby Atmos license, where the Windows Audio service (audiosrv) would crash with a stack overflow exception and the PC won't have sound.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a bug check with the error message SECURE_KERNEL_ERROR in recent flights.
- As of Build 17063, a change was made that may have caused some older drivers to not load properly. This may have caused update failures or bugchecks (GSODs) shortly after the PC was rebooted. This build includes fixes for this that should prevent these update failures and bugchecks from occurring.
- Thanks everyone who's shared feedback about our Embedded Handwriting Panel so far – we're making a change such that if you clean install, reset your PC, or upgrade straight to this build from the Fall Creators Update this experience will be turned off by default. The setting will remain on for Insiders who have upgraded from previous builds where it was enabled, and can be turned on by anyone with a pen capable device via the "Write directly into text field" option under Pen & Windows Ink Settings.
- If you had your phone linked to your PC prior to upgrading, you'll find it has become unlinked after upgrading. You can relink your phone from Settings > Phone.
If you're a Windows Insider on the Fast ring, you should be able to grab build 17123 via Windows Update now. You can also check out Microsoft's full release notes for more.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Please put in articles which Redstone a build is for... 4 or 5. Thank you
This is RS4. RS5 build numbers begin with 176. (RS 5 isn't in fast ring atm, only in "skip ahead".) :)
the fast/slow ring is on 4. skip ahead is on 5
I'd rather see support for the popular equirectangular format first.
I dont have store guys with the new updates
It didn't work at all for me. I downloaded the update and my PC is stuck on the loading screen doesn't even get to the sign in page.
The picture of this article is from techincal preview, 3 years and 7000 version numbers ago. Time to change it :)
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.