What you need to know
- Microsoft Teams can now show notifications from Yammer communities.
- The feature supports announcements within communities and @ mentions in conversations.
- The Communities app for Microsoft Teams was initially released in April of last year.
Microsoft is rolling out support for Yammer community notifications within Microsoft Teams. The new functionality allows people to get notifications for announcements in communities and @ mentions in conversations. Microsoft released the Communities app for Microsoft Teams last year, which brings Yammer communities and conversations into Teams.
Once you've installed the Communities app onto Microsoft Teams, you'll receive Yammer notifications within the Teams Activity feed. This functionality works across platforms, including the web, desktop, and mobile.
Microsoft shares some examples of how this feature could be used in a Tech Community post (opens in new tab):
- Large scale announcements such as policy updates, safety information, and organizational change
- Frontline workers and mobile employees who need to access important information and conversations with headquarters from mobile devices
- Employee communities that span departments such as new employee onboarding, and diversity & inclusion communities
- Functional communities that connect people to crowdsource solutions, ideate, and share with coworkers (example: hackathons, events, kickoffs)
In order to use the Communities app, an organization needs to go through its custom policies to deploy the app and pin it for users within departments.
The Communities app is very similar to the new Yammer experience, except that it's within Microsoft Teams. Microsoft explains how to install the Communities app onto Teams and how to set it up within an organization on a support page (opens in new tab).
Sean Endicott is the news writer for Windows Central. If it runs Windows, is made by Microsoft, or has anything to do with either, he's on it. Sean's been with Windows Central since 2017 and is also our resident app expert. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maybe it's time to rename yammer to TeamsField. Yammer sounds like an exotic sandwich
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.