What you need to know
- Minecraft: Bedrock Edition gets constant updates and patches to add new features and resolve lingering issues.
- Today, Mojang Studios is releasing the 1.16.221 hotfix update to the public, which as expected includes a handful of bug fixes.
- Most notably, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.16.221 aims to improve an egregious loading screen bug that has afflicted some PS4 Minecraft players.
- The Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.16.221 hotfix update is now available to download on all platforms and should be quite small in size.
In the Minecraft world, most eyes may be focused on the Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta, which recently dived headfirst into the upcoming Caves and Cliffs Update by releasing the first full Caves and Cliffs Update beta. Today, however, all eyes should instead be on the new Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.16.221 hotfix update that is now officially releasing on all platforms.
While smaller in size, the hotfix update includes a number of important changes. Minecraft players on PS4 will especially want to make sure they install this update as soon as possible. The 1.16.221 hotfix aims to fix the loading screen bug that has caused Minecraft to fail to launch past the initial loading screen for some players on PlayStation consoles. Alongside this crucial fix, there are also a few more improvements to help reduce crashes and fix a bug where paintings weren't visible after being placed.
Be sure to install the hotfix as soon as possible, and take a look at our list of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts while you're waiting for it to install. It won't take long to download this hotfix, but you'll find something you'll love even faster.
The full changelog for the Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.16.221 hotfix update includes:
- Paintings are once again visible when placed
- Fixed some instances of the game not launching past the loading screen after updating on PS4
- Fixed a soft lock that occurred when trying to set friend permissions on a Realm on initial invite
- Fixed a crash that could occur during gameplay
- Fixed a crash that could occur when loading Behavior Packs containing GameTests
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox, Windows 10, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone and play anywhere.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.