What you need to know
- Mojang Studios is in the middle of developing the next major content update for Minecraft, The Wild Update.
- On Wednesday, the studio released Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w15a to test a fresh batch of changes with insiders.
- The headlining addition in the snapshot is a brand-new ranged attack for the terrifying Warden mini-boss mob.
- Plenty of bug fixes and other changes, including to mangrove swamps, are also featured in the snapshot.
The Wild Update is expected to arrive later in 2022 with a ton of new features for Minecraft, but Mojang Studios isn't forcing players to wait that long to try out some of those new features right now. Pre-release betas and snapshots have been arriving for weeks, and a new Minecraft: Java Edition snapshot is now rolling out to players with a fresh batch of new features, changes, and bug fixes.
Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w15a is the latest release for The Wild Update, and continues development with new features and plenty of changes in which players can sink their teeth. The headlining feature of this particular snapshot is absolutely the addition of a long-distant range attack for the Warden in the Deep Dark, which terrifyingly includes the Warden's rib cage opening to unleash a devastating sonic attack.
Mangrove swamps and vibrations also enjoy healthy tweaks, while a couple dozen bugs are being squashed. The latest Minecraft snapshot is now available to test on PC and through PC Game Pass, and arrives as part of Mojang Studios' efforts to develop The Wild Update for a full release later this year. Minecraft: Java Edition is one of the best PC games you can play, and this snapshot is a small part of why.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w15a includes:
- Added advancement "When the Squad Hops into Town" for getting each Frog variant on a Lead
- Added advancement "Sneak 100" for sneaking near a Sculk Sensor or Warden to prevent it hearing you
- Added a new ranged attack to the Warden
Warden ranged attack
- Building up high, hiding behind walls or being out of range of their powerful melee attack will cause Wardens to switch to their ranged attack
- Their rib cages will open up to shriek a sonically charged ranged attack that can penetrate walls
- Added Darkness effect to "How Did We Get Here?" advancement
- Allays have a natural health regen of 2 health per second
- The main menu background now shows a Wild Update panorama
- Mud generates all the way from the surface down to stone in Mangrove Swamps
- Tall Mangroves are far more common than Short Mangroves in Mangrove Swamps
- Moss Carpet generates on top of Mangrove Tree's roots
- The Wandering Trader will now sometimes offer Propagules for sale
- A previous change to Noteblocks that only Wool and Wool Carpets would block the sounds has been reverted
- Wardens can now sniff you from further away
- The vertical range Wardens get angry at a target while sniffing is now 20 blocks instead of 6 blocks
- Carpets, like Wool blocks, will now dampen the vibrations caused by their placing, breaking or dropping as items
- Carpets now also dampen the vibrations caused by running and jumping over them
- Triggered when a player picks up an item that was thrown by an entity
player— a predicate for the player picking up the item
entity— a predicate for the entity that threw the item
item— a predicate for the item
- Triggered when a vibration event is ignored because the source player is holding the sneak key
player— a player for which this trigger runs
- Renamed game event tag
- Added block tag
dampens_vibrationsto indicate blocks which will not trigger vibrations when placed, broken or stepped on
- Renamed item tag
dampens_vibrationsitem tag as well
- Item frames / Glow item frames don't change their hitbox if they contain a map
- Joining a world that uses custom resources shows default resources until fully loaded
- Phantoms with
NoAIcan go through blocks
- Glow lichens cannot be put on soul sand
- Leashes from two or more invisible entities connect to each other
- Vines cannot be placed on the sides of 8 layers of snow
- Glow lichen cannot be placed on the side of 8 layers of snow
- Vines cannot be placed on the sides of soul sand
- The word "ingot" within the "Serious Dedication" advancement description is improperly capitalized
- Sleeping in a custom dimension with "natural" set to false causes crash
- The word "villager" within the "Star Trader" advancement description is improperly capitalized
- Sculk shriekers replace water blocks
- The inside texture of mangrove roots darkens when solid blocks are placed adjacent to them
- Unexpected culling of inner sculk shrieker faces
sculk_chargecannot be used in
- Vines, glow lichens, and sculk veins cannot be placed on the side or top faces of mud
- Mangrove Roots cannot be composted
- Map color for mangrove sign and mangrove wall sign is incorrect
- You can't open the boat with chests without a shift, even when you can't get into the boat
- Activated sculk shriekers fail to summon the warden when broken
- Darkness pulsing option is not saved
- Inconsistent shading in boat item sprites
- Warden despawns when far away
- Mangrove stairs come after nether wood stairs in the Building Blocks tab
- Allay can be pushed around with
- New advancement names are not properly capitalized
- Warden can be pushed when emerging and digging
- Mangrove trees don't replace certain blocks with roots
- Recovery compass isn't sorted with regular compass in creative inventory
- You can use a Recovery Compass on a Lodestone
- Growing a Mangrove Tree with bone meal creates a ghost block
- Game crash related to the frog occurred (Accessing
LegacyRandomSourcefrom multiple threads)
- Mangrove roots sometimes don't generate waterlogged when generating within water
- Cave carvers don't cut through mud
- Mangrove Leaves do not drop from Silk Touch tools
- Water got removed after waterlogged Mangrove Propagule grows
- Top of Sculk Shrieker model is vertically squished
- Warden can forget a target it just roared at
- Powering a beacon disconnects player from server
- Harsh chunk borders appear when upgrading a 1.18.2 world
- Chance to have mangrove roots not waterlogged when growing from a sapling while underwater
- The Birthday Song advancement description is incorrectly capitalized
note_blockis inconsistently spelled as noteblock in the
- UUID launch argument required
- The "You Got a Friend in Me" advancement is incorrectly presented in the past tense
- Mangrove Log and Mangrove Planks don't spawn in bonus chest
- Can't plant sugar cane on mud
- Can't plant bamboo on mud
- Can't plant big dripleaf on mud
- Overworld vegetation cannot be placed on muddy mangrove roots
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox consoles and PC Game Pass for Windows devices, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go fun. Minecraft: Java Edition and all of its snapshots are included in PC Game Pass and XGPU, meaning you can get shot by the Warden without owning the game.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.