What you need to know
- Typically arriving once a week, Mojang Studios periodically releases new Minecraft: Java Edition snapshots.
- The snapshots test upcoming changes, fixes, and features planned to be included in future Minecraft updates.
- Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w17a is now available to testers, and features more features from The Wild Update.
- Goat horns are arriving on Minecraft: Java Edition alongside new changes to allays, plenty of fixes, and more.
2022 continues to trek on, and Mojang Studios continues to develop Minecraft's major content update for the year. The Wild Update may not be here in full, yet, but interested players can already test what's coming in the release through Minecraft: Bedrock Edition betas and Minecraft: Java Edition snapshots. On Wednesday, Mojang Studios released the latest of the latter with Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w17a.
The next Minecraft release is The Wild Update, which is expected to arrive later this year with new biomes like the mangrove swamp and Deep Dark, new mobs like frogs, allays, and the Warden, new blocks and items, and much more. Wednesday's Minecraft: Java Edition snapshot brings players the goat horn to test (which has already been featured in Minecraft: Bedrock Edition betas), as well as further changes to allays and other miscellaneous improvements.
Minecraft is one of the best PC games you can play, and participating in these snapshots and providing feedback helps the game become even better. This snapshot follows last week's release, which included new music and music discs for The Wild Update.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition Snapshot 22w17a includes:
- A Goat Horn drops when a Goat rams a tree or any other hard block that occurs naturally where Goats spawn (Logs, Stone, Packed Ice, Iron Ore, Copper Ore, or Emerald Ore)
- Other solid blocks are unfamiliar to the Goat, so it won't ram them
- Use the horn to play a loud sound that can be heard from afar
- Each horn has its own sound based on the Goat it originated from
- There are 8 Goat Horn variants, 4 of them exclusive to screaming Goats
- Goat Horns can sometimes be found in Pillager Outposts
- The Allay connecting with Note Blocks is now better visualized by the vibration particle
- The Allay connecting with Note Blocks can now be blocked by Wool Blocks again
- Replaced realms subtle selected world highlight with a clear green checkmark
- Updated the Brewing Stand's base UVs and texture to match a graphical fix in Bedrock Edition
- Warden balancing
- The Warden's ranged attack will now:
- Bypass shields and armor
- Deal 10 damage instead of 30 damage, and the cooldown has been reduced from 5 seconds to 2 seconds
- Display a custom death message
- Wardens now drop a single Sculk Catalyst upon death
- Signed Chat
dampenable_vibrationsgame event tag
Multiplayer secure chat signing
- This is the first step in a process to provide more security and player safety features for in-game chat
- We'd love to hear your thoughts, but keep in mind that many features such as server-driven styling of chat messages are still missing
- Chat messages between players are now cryptographically signed
- Players are given a Mojang provided key-pair on startup
- Servers can require players to have a Mojang-signed public key by setting
- Enforcing secure profiles will prevent players without a Mojang-signed public key from connecting
- By default this is set to
false, allowing players to connect without a Mojang-signed public key
- Chat styling is now handled via server resource packs with the translation key
- Texture Z-Fighting at Wolf / Dog / Cat snout
- Illager / (zombie) villager / witch robes don't render the last two rows of pixels
- Leather cap texture overlay doesn't align correctly
- Cleric collar z-fighting
- Ores no longer drop experience when blown up
- Landing entities such as minecarts and armor stands trigger sculk sensors but boats do not
- Boats ridden over wool are detected by sculk sensor
- Projectiles landing on wool trigger sculk sensors
- Sculk sensors are not activated upon backwards movement in a boat
- Sculk sensors are not activated upon entities sliding on ice
- Weaponsmith zombie villager texture has leftover pixels from the regular weaponsmith texture
- Llama uses pre-1.14 chest texture
- Mismatches within (zombie) villager textures
- Savanna Zombie Villager missing a body texture
- Savanna villager body defines pixels identical to base villager texture
- Vindicator's crossed arms element has miscolored pixels on the faces touching the other arm elements
- Iron golem has unused pixels in the texture
- Fence item model's bars inconsistent with placed block
- "Half" armor bar icon texture is incorrect
- Sculk blocks don't drop experience orbs when blown up
- Sculk cannot replace soul sand or mud when mobs die on top of them
- tadpole.png has unused frog egg texture
- If allay is holding an item, it can be equipped with armor using a dispenser
- Blocks that require support can generate floating in ancient cities
- Pillar in Ancient City can generate with waterlogged stairs
- Allays and villagers create ghost items when they take items from a stack and cannot fit the whole stack in their inventory
- Allays ignore the dimension when checking for liked note blocks
- The inner two planes in mangrove roots are smaller than they should be
- Shading is disabled for the two inner planes in mangrove roots, even though it isn't for all the other planes
/locatestronghold in some single biomes causes an unexpected error
- Z-fighting can be seen around the backs of frogs when they open their mouths
- Some blocks in Ancient City structures can only be covered by sculk veins and can't be converted into a sculk block
- Flying and aquatic mobs pathfinding in certain blocks cause crash. The game crashed whilst ticking entity
Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "dnm.a()" because "$$1" is null
- Chunk rendering is glitchy / incorrect when redrawing
- Paintings are off-centered in multiplayer servers
- Teleporting armor stands results in visual desync and abnormal behavior
- Blocks and items can cause the world to render invisibly
- Sculk can spread in ancient city structures and replace soul sand with fire on top, extinguishing fires
- Narrator improperly narrates chat
- The rendering of players is delayed for others
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, Xbox Game Pass for Xbox consoles and PC Game Pass for Windows devices, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go fun. Minecraft: Java Edition is now available through PC Game Pass, and that includes access to this snapshot and goat horns.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.