Minecraft: Java Edition releases Pre-Release 3 for 1.17 'Caves and Cliffs Update' with new bug fixes
We're now a week away from the official launch of the 'Caves and Cliffs Update.'
What you need to know
- The 'Caves and Cliffs Update' for Minecraft is now only a week away, and Mojang Studios is working on polish.
- Minecraft: Java Edition has dropped the Pre-Release 3 snapshot for the 'Caves and Cliffs Update' today.
- Pre-Release 3 includes a handful of additional bug fixes, some minor tweaks and improvements, and one known issue.
- The latest snapshot follows hot on the heels of Pre-Release 2, and is now available for testers to play.
Only a day after the release of Minecraft: Java Edition Caves and Cliffs Update Pre-Release 2, Mojang Studios is continuing the final stages of polish for Part One of the Caves and Cliffs Update coming June 8 with the release of Minecraft: Java Edition 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Pre-Release 3. The 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update is the next major update for Minecraft, and the first half is now only a week away!
Mojang Studios is working on finalizing the imminent release with last-minute bug fixes and tweaks to make the experience as great as possible. After Caves and Cliffs Update Part One is release, Mojang Studios can begin fervent work on Part Two, the larger half of the Caves and Cliffs Update coming this winter.
Minecraft: Java Edition Pre-Release 3 includes another handful of bugs on top of the just-released Pre-Release 2, but also includes some new changes and a known issue where the game "warns" players that worlds are experimental (this will be fixed before release).
The Caves and Cliffs Update is just around the corner, and gives players a ton of new reasons to love Minecraft even more. Check out our list of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts for some excellent ways to celebrate.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Java Edition 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Pre-Release 3 includes:
Caves and Cliffs Update preview
- Download the new datapack
- Tweaked the textures of lit candles
- Mobs rammed by goats will no longer retaliate
- Axolotls and Glow Squids now only spawn in total darkness and where there's a natural stone block less than 5 blocks below the spawning space
- Lightning rod is floating when held in third-person
- Game fatally crashed while exploring chunks (
IllegalStateException: Accessing PalettedContainer from multiple threads)
- Baby axolotls despawn
- Vines aren't rendered with
- Floating water caves in caves under the ocean
- Replacing Chunk Futures causes several issues
- Vines can spread upward to non-full blocks
- Cave generation seems to be broken at seemingly random chunk borders
- Lit candle texture doesn't change when on cake
- Crash trying to start a world:
Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot read field "u" because "â˜ƒ" is null
- "Double closing program" warnings upon closing the game
- MC-226874 - Player's owned
player_headon mobs are flashing
- Gravity blocks do not break when
doEntityDropsis set to false
- Stars are occluded by render fog
- Changing or reloading resource packs does not reload core shaders until reloading a second time
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.