Office Insiders on the Slow ring are being treated to a set of new features to check out on Windows desktop, courtesy of a fresh build that is now rolling out. While there's nothing new to see in Word, Microsoft has highlighted some handy new features headed to Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
A new #InsiderSlow build 8201.2025 is available for Windows desktop. See what's new with @office in May: http://msft.social/scmf/OrMCe04Lcp0lOEFPf0I40BcL3c4CR0BMEHFGSZ2-xqlq7UdKAkVBrRCKOk54uZbJJfu2r5qfEArp2ojnikEVwms9Cib9uZ6mJTgK/Tibq8e.A new #InsiderSlow build 8201.2025 is available for Windows desktop. See what's new with @office in May: http://msft.social/scmf/OrMCe04Lcp0lOEFPf0I40BcL3c4CR0BMEHFGSZ2-xqlq7UdKAkVBrRCKOk54uZbJJfu2r5qfEArp2ojnikEVwms9Cib9uZ6mJTgK/Tibq8e.— MS Office Insiders (@OfficeInsider) May 24, 2017May 24, 2017
Here's what's new (opens in new tab) in version 1705 (Build 8201.xxxx) on Windows desktop:
- Excel: Enhanced data import functionality - Easily import and shape data from various sources. Manage workbook queries and connection with the Queries & Connection side pane, and share queries with others via ODC files.
- Excel: Keep the copy - Copy your cells and , before you paste, you can still do other tasks like typing or inserting cells.
- Excel: New data transformation: Add Column From Examples - In the Query Editor, create a new column by providing sample values. As you type, Excel detects the required transformations and shows a preview of the new column.
- Outlook: Improved attachment options - When attaching files to an email, you can more easily select whether to add it as a cloud file or as a traditional attachment.
- Outlook: Quickly access the groups you use the most - Groups you're most likely to interact with now appear at the top of the list.
- PowerPoint: Closed captions for video: - Add closed captions to a video to make it accessible.
If you're already an Office Insider and Office 365 subscriber, you can check out the latest Office Insider Slow features by heading to File > Account > Update Options > Update Now in any one of the Office desktop apps.
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the Editor in Chief for Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl. Got a hot tip? Send it to email@example.com.
I'm on the Fast ring, but I'm not seeing that update. Mine is still at 8117.1000.
Not related but... WhatsApp on my 950 just went "loading" a few hours ago and didn't come back. Anyone else with this problem??
yes but came back after changing few time my wifi setting
Sad to see OneNote get nothing but useless UI changes. Also, Sway still seems like one of the most confusing products I've ever been "handed" by a company for free...
I hate the UI of One Note app. It's so inconsistent and it's not visually appealing.
Agreed. I use OneNote the most out of the entire Office suite. I still feel that I cannot use the Store version yet
Why noone anymore talks about Access?
With the deferred paste option ("Keep the copy"), has MS also done anything to make Undo window-specific? Seems like these could be relate as a more advanced mechanism for handling the clipboard in Excel. I hate how if I make changes in multiple Excel windows, unlike Word and every other modern program, I can't just work with the Undo list for my current window without also performing newer undo operations in other windows (whether I want to undo them or not). I know this is highly requested ever since Excel finally added support for multiple windows in the same instance of Excel (instead of the old MDI), just curious if any insiders have seen any evidence that this will be fixed yet.
I think it's because we recieved so many mixed signals from Microsoft since Access 2007 what the role of Access is... Now the *.adp is dropped... where an Access database became the default front end for back end SQL database... They've back tracked on that..
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.