PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) is a last-man-standing shooter being developed with the help of community feedback. Starting with absolutely nothing, players must fight to locate weapons and supplies in a battle to be the only one alive. PUBG is a surprisingly realistic and high-tension title set on a massive island. Unfortunately the game suffers from numerous issues on Xbox One. The number of crashes has increased since the last update, and the developer, PUBG Corp., has been criticized for its lack of transparency. In an effort to ease concerns, the team posted a lengthy explanation on Reddit.
Updated June 2, 2018: Last night, PUBG got a surprise 9 GB patch on Xbox One which fixes a lot of the issues. The patch was supposed to launch next week but it was released early. Prediction-based Level Streaming has improved, Elastic Accuracy Control has improved, and there should be less crashes. You can read about all the changes on the developer's forum.
PUBG's latest Xbox One patch will launch next week. It brings with it a number of important fixes but, more importantly, the studio discussed the reasons behind the infamous crashes and performance issues. I've summarized the main information below.
- The next patch is planned for June 5, 2018. PUBG Corp. may push this patch out earlier, but if a critical issue arises, the team may delay the update.
- The patch will include fixes for Xbox One Game Hub statistics not updating, as well as a fix for crashes. The developer is also implementing improvements to "Elastic Accuracy Control for Characters", a system it recently introduced to reduce crashing and lag in heavily-populated areas. Lastly, there will be improvements to the "Prediction-based Level Streaming" system.
- There are two major causes behind crashes and the first issue is being fixed with the next patch. PUBG Corp. introduced some back-end changes to prepare for an upcoming feature and in some cases, the game would try to interact with this unfinished feature, causing it to crash. The other reason revolves around caching memory which is used to improve performance. This bug should be entirely resolved by the end of June.
- Map selection is still in development but should be out soon.
- Server performance is also causing problems and the team recently applied some network improvements to the PC servers. These optimizations should come to Xbox One soon once they're stable.
- There are many bumps and sharp terrain geometry around maps which can cause vehicles to explode. PUBG Corp. is working to smooth out the terrain on all maps and reduce these bizarre instances.
- The team is investigating other problems like players teleporting after vaulting and matches not ending even those you're the only player alive. These problems will be fixed in subsequent patches once the causes are isolated.
The team reiterated that there are "many issues that need to be fixed in regard to performance, stability and gameplay." Some will take more time than others. Apparently they're working hard to address them as quickly as possible.
Hopefully the next patch will also bring frame rate improvements for Xbox One owners. Games like Fortnite are witnessing unprecedented success because many players are abandoning PUBG due to the problems. The patches need to come out soon before it's too late.
Keep an eye on WindowsCentral.com/Gaming for all the latest in Xbox and Windows 10 gaming, accessories, news, and reviews!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
The Black Friday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Microsoft’s ‘Project Latte’ aims to bring Android apps to Windows 10
Microsoft is working on a software solution that would allow app developers to bring their Android apps to Windows 10 with little to no code changes by packaging them as an MSIX and allowing developers to submit them to the Microsoft Store. The project is codenamed 'Latte' and I'm told it could show up as soon as next year.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Where to find all of the Abilities & Upgrades
Assassin's Creed Valhalla is Ubisoft's most recent adventure bringing medical England to life through the eyes of a Viking named Eivor. Build your arsenal of devastating combat moves called Abilities, and become a Viking warlord with this comprehensive list of all the abilities and their locations.
Plow through enemies with these great beat 'em ups for Xbox
Feel the urge to unleash some pent up frustrations on armies of bad guys? Here are some of the best beat em' ups and hack n' slashes to bring your much-needed catharsis.