PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) is a last-man-standing shooter being developed with the help of community feedback. Starting with absolutely nothing, players must fight to locate weapons and supplies in a battle to be the only one alive. PUBG is a surprisingly realistic and high-tension title set on a massive island. Unfortunately the game suffers from numerous issues on Xbox One. The number of crashes has increased since the last update, and the developer, PUBG Corp., has been criticized for its lack of transparency. In an effort to ease concerns, the team posted a lengthy explanation on Reddit.
Updated June 2, 2018: Last night, PUBG got a surprise 9 GB patch on Xbox One which fixes a lot of the issues. The patch was supposed to launch next week but it was released early. Prediction-based Level Streaming has improved, Elastic Accuracy Control has improved, and there should be less crashes. You can read about all the changes on the developer's forum.
PUBG's latest Xbox One patch will launch next week. It brings with it a number of important fixes but, more importantly, the studio discussed the reasons behind the infamous crashes and performance issues. I've summarized the main information below.
- The next patch is planned for June 5, 2018. PUBG Corp. may push this patch out earlier, but if a critical issue arises, the team may delay the update.
- The patch will include fixes for Xbox One Game Hub statistics not updating, as well as a fix for crashes. The developer is also implementing improvements to "Elastic Accuracy Control for Characters", a system it recently introduced to reduce crashing and lag in heavily-populated areas. Lastly, there will be improvements to the "Prediction-based Level Streaming" system.
- There are two major causes behind crashes and the first issue is being fixed with the next patch. PUBG Corp. introduced some back-end changes to prepare for an upcoming feature and in some cases, the game would try to interact with this unfinished feature, causing it to crash. The other reason revolves around caching memory which is used to improve performance. This bug should be entirely resolved by the end of June.
- Map selection is still in development but should be out soon.
- Server performance is also causing problems and the team recently applied some network improvements to the PC servers. These optimizations should come to Xbox One soon once they're stable.
- There are many bumps and sharp terrain geometry around maps which can cause vehicles to explode. PUBG Corp. is working to smooth out the terrain on all maps and reduce these bizarre instances.
- The team is investigating other problems like players teleporting after vaulting and matches not ending even those you're the only player alive. These problems will be fixed in subsequent patches once the causes are isolated.
The team reiterated that there are "many issues that need to be fixed in regard to performance, stability and gameplay." Some will take more time than others. Apparently they're working hard to address them as quickly as possible.
Hopefully the next patch will also bring frame rate improvements for Xbox One owners. Games like Fortnite are witnessing unprecedented success because many players are abandoning PUBG due to the problems. The patches need to come out soon before it's too late.
Keep an eye on WindowsCentral.com/Gaming for all the latest in Xbox and Windows 10 gaming, accessories, news, and reviews!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Everything new with Xbox One's February update
Everything new with the Xbox One's February Update, including another Home makeover, message image support, and more.
Dell's refreshed XPS 13 (9300) is tough competition for the Galaxy Book S
Samsung has released its ARM-based Galaxy Book S, and many are comparing it to the similarly sized Dell XPS 13 (9300). We break things down to help you make the right decision.
Microsoft's confident Xbox Series X news drip is a refreshing shift
Microsoft used to keep development pretty close to its chest, strewn through a lens of PR and over-thought marketing. Xbox seems to have turned a corner into something different.
Enhance your Xbox games with these compatible mice
With native Xbox One mouse and keyboard support, securing the right pointer could enhance your experience across a growing list of compatible titles.