Panos Panay and the Surface team just wrapped up their AMA on Reddit. The Q&A session had hundreds of questions about the new Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2. We’ve collected some of the more interesting answers and factoids into a handy, easy-to-digest bullet point list. Enjoy!
- Surface 2 with LTE integrated coming early next year. (Source)
- LTE version will have GPS. (Source)
- Surface 2 only comes in silver, no black option. (Source)
- Surface 2 does not have support the Surface Pen. It is still a capacitive display. (Source)
- Surface 2 still uses a 5-point multitouch display. (Source)
Surface Pro 2
- Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 do not support connected standby. (Source)
- Surface Pro 2 features Intel 4400HD graphics. (Source)
- Surface Pro will work with new Docking Station. (Source)
- Surface Pro 2 uses the Haswell Intel Core i5-4200U as processor. (Source)
- Surface Pro 2 will support dual external displays at 2650 x 1600 along with the internal display. DisplayPort 1.2 on the Surface Pro 2 allows for daisy chaining 2 monitors. (Source)
Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2
- Surface display goes up to 400 nits in brightness. (Source)
- Both Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 feature Dolby processing built-in to improve audio. (Source)
- Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 will have Miracast support.
- Both Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 use 802.11 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO special diversity streams for Wi-Fi capabilities. 2.4G and 5G are supported for 802.11n. (Source)
- No support for NFC in either Surface 2 or Surface Pro 2. (Source)
- Power connector is now easier to connect with the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2. It has been redesigned to be easier to position and insert. The LED can now be seen from any angle. (Source)
- The Power Cover does not come with backlit keys (saving power is the concern, though it can charge your Surface when in the bag). (Source)
- The entire Touch Cover 2 can be used for gestures. (Source)
- Both Touch and Type Cover 2 will work with first generation Surface devices. The backlit functionality will also work on both the Surface RT and Surface Pro. (Source)
- Surface Pen and chargers from first generation will work with Surface Pro 2. (Source)
- New keyboards support Microsoft’s Precision Touchpad functionality in Windows 8.1. (Source)
- Touch Cover 2 features 1092 pressure sensors, up from 80 in the original. This will enabled more blades, like the Surface Music Kit, in the future. (Source)
- Panos Panay uses the Nokia Lumia 1020 as his smartphone. (Sure it’s silly, but I thought it was cool). (Source)
- Julie Larson-Green enjoys a good, hoppy IPA. (Source)
Overall, a solid AMA. Curious about pricing and worldwide availability? The Surface 2 starts at $449 and the Surface Pro 2 starts at $899. Get full details here. What other questions do you have about the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2? Sound off below.
Source: Reddit AMA
'Mercury' is the code name of a large Xbox Store update, coming soon
You may have seen images of an app called "Mercury" floating around in Xbox communities. Here's what it is, and what we know so far.
Minecraft Dungeons: 10 things that we'd love to see improved
Minecraft Dungeons is a great game, but as we max out the game and hit full completion, there are a few things we think could easily be improved. Here are ten of them.
How Microsoft Teams changed my football team during the pandemic
The global health crisis caused my football team's practices and season to be canceled. To continue coaching, we switched to virtual classroom sessions using Microsoft Teams.
Set up a Surface Pro workstation with one of these external monitors
The Surface Pro is great on its own, but that doesn't mean you can't add one or two external monitors to it and create a sweet battlestation. Here are the best overall picks available now.