Resident Evil 2 is a masterclass in how to remake a classic game. Based on the hit horror title from 1998, 20 years later Resident Evil 2 has returned to show modern horror games how it's done.
A classic piece of weaponry from the franchise also makes its triumphant return, namely the shotgun, which shreds zombies into cascades of gore, albeit with relatively sparse ammo. The shotgun is also available in the Resident Evil 2 demo, but gaining access is a little different in the full game. Here's how to do it. Do note that the shotgun is only available to Leon.
Note: This guide may contain location-based spoilers.
How to get the shotgun in Resident Evil 2 (Leon Scenario A)
Near the start of the game, you'll be able to progress to the third floor by navigating the west rooms of the police station map. Follow the path here. Note: There will be a few zombies throughout the rooms on the way there, so be vigilant.
Head up to the third floor using the stairs.
At the top of the third floor, there will be a room with a human-like shadow and a desk. Grab the Spade Key from the desk.
Once you have the Spade Key, head around to the library, as shown here.
Head down the stairs in the library, cross the Main Hall over to the Art Room. You will be able to open the Waiting Room door using the Spade key. Follow the map here.
Inside the Art Room, there should be a Weapons Locker Key on a table as you enter. Grab it.
- While you're in the Art Room, grab both the Locker Key and the Broken Statue Arm key item (which you'll need later for something else), and head back to the Main Hall.
- Head back to the Safety Deposit Room on the first floor. Note: The safest way is probably back through the library and down the stairs, but you can also try to brave the west 1F halls (which, now, may be swarming with zombies.)
Use the Weapons Locker Key on the locker key card panel at the back of the Safety Deposit Room.
- Viola! You now have a shotgun and some extra ammo to go with it.
How to get the shotgun in Resident Evil 2 (Leon Scenario B)
Grabbing the shotgun in Scenario B (if you played first as Claire) is pretty much the same as Scenario A, but the path to the weapons locker keycard is a bit different. In Scenario B, Leon starts his playthrough at the back of the police station.
Once you have gained access to the police station you should have access to the Art Room straight away by going up the fire escape.
- Head up the fire escape and go into the Art Room.
Grab the Weapons locker key card from the table with the Green Lamp.
- Go back down the Fire escape and into the police station.
- Head into the Break Room and grab the electrical part.
- Move into the Watchman's Room. Note: Grab the scrap of paper from the desk, it provides a hint for future puzzles.
- Use the Cutting tool to open the East Office. Note: The East Office also contains a round handle on the left, be sure to grab it for future use.
- Head through the opposite door by removing the chair blocking the door.
- Head towards the Main Hall using the electrical part to open the shutter.
Move to the Safety Deposit Room through the west wings of the police station, using the cutting tool to get through the Operations room. Watch out for zombies!
- Use the Weapons locker key card to access the shotgun at the back of the Safety Deposit Room.
Where to find the shotgun upgrades in Resident Evil 2
You can upgrade the shotgun with various optional parts you can find throughout the game. Here's where to keep a look out for them.
The first shotgun upgrade is the long barrel and it's located in Kendo's Gunshop on a shelf to the left. You'll end up there as you progress through the story.
The second shotgun upgrade is the shotgun stock and it's located in a safe in the Treatment pool room during the sewer segment of the game. Use Left 2, right 12, left 8 to open the safe, or view the combination written on the back of the safe in chalk.
Resident Evil 2 is a welcome return for one of gaming's greatest classics, and the shotgun makes it all the more satisfying. For more Resident Evil 2 guides, be sure to hit the link below!
Resident Evil 2 is available now on Xbox One, PS4, and PC, for $59.99.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Everything we know about Resident Evil Village (so far)
Capcom's next survival-horror title may be Resident Evil 8. Related rumors indicate a first-person setting, some returning characters and more.
Office.com is getting a pretty snazzy new look
Microsoft has started rolling out a new look for its Office web portal for commercial customers. Presumably, the new look will head out to regular Microsoft 365 subscribers at some point, but Microsoft hasn't formally announced the redesign yet.
Microsoft is reportedly considering buying the WB Games division
Microsoft is reportedly considering a bid on Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Previously, Take-Two Interactive, Electronic Arts and Activision were all reportedly interested as well.
Best Xbox Game Pass games for Xbox One
Pick up the best Xbox One games included with an Xbox Game Pass subscription.