Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is a pure survival horror title focusing on tense gunplay, desperate exploration, and haunting nightmare fuel experiences. After a brief sojourn with near pure action gameplay in RE5 and 6, Capcom has taken RE7 back to basics, delivering a first person experience that is already among the greatest horror games on Xbox One. It's also an Xbox Play Anywhere title, meaning that your purchase and progression roams between Windows 10 PCs and Xbox One consoles.
It's possible to complete Resident Evil 7 without getting the shotgun, but doing so will be unnecessarily difficult. The shotgun is a Resident Evil staple, and I highly recommend you pick it up. Here's how.
- The first thing you will need to do to grab the shotgun is explore the basement. You gain access to the basement after defeating the Garage boss, and after exploring the second floor to find the Eagle relief in the bathtub.
- The basement is full of shambling mold creatures. Shoot them in the head with the handgun to dispatch them.
- Progress through the basement to the Processing Area, to this location.
- The Scorpion Key is wedged in a pile of flesh on the table in the middle of the room. Grab it.
- Backtrack upstairs to the Main Hall, and head up to the second floor.
- Now, after looting the Eagle model from the bathtub the first time round, Jack attacks you. If you didn't kill him the first time, he'll still be roaming around on the second floor.
- If you defeated Jack earlier, no problem, but if he's still there, you'll have to choose between fighting him or avoiding him. If you choose to fight, shoot him in the head and guard against his melee attacks. Putting him on the ground will make grabbing the shotgun (and the other items) far easier.
- Head to the Recreation Room and open the door locked with the Scorpion Key. This will grant you access to the broken shotgun and various other items and text files.
- Take the broken shotgun to the Main Hall.
- Against the back wall, there's a statue holding a shotgun, reminiscent of the shotgun room from Resident Evil 1. Loot the functional shotgun and replace it with the broken shotgun to open the door.
The shotgun deals immense amounts of damage at close range, but the damage drops a little quicker than the handgun at longer ranges. The shotgun should be used up close and personal on enemy weak spots, which are typically (but not always) the head. The shotgun will help you immensely in the next boss fight against a chainsaw-wielding nutcase in the basement's Dissection Room, which is where you should head next.
Resident Evil 7 is a stunning return to form for Capcom's classic series, and it's available now on Xbox One and Windows 10 as an Xbox play Anywhere title. See below for our full review!
Jez Corden is a Senior Editor for Windows Central, focusing primarily on all things Xbox and gaming. Jez is known for breaking exclusive news and analysis as relates to the Microsoft ecosystem while being powered by caffeine. Follow on Twitter @JezCorden and listen to his Xbox Two podcast, all about, you guessed it, Xbox!
You just said on Beam that the shotgun is rubbish!! 🤓😜
ahaha, Rainbow Six Siege shotgun is at least ;)
You can take it one step further... Later in the game when you get the snake key, you can get a toy shot gun replica in the kids room attic. Replace the broken shot gun with the toy one. Then fix the broken shot gun with a repair kit (you can find 2 of them). The repaired shot gun is stronger than the first.
Can we get this for 360
Not played a RE game since ps1. May try this in a sale.
Anyone use it on the surface book with the performance base yet?
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.