The business-based messaging service Slack has updated its Windows Phone beta app, adding the ability to chat with yourself, among other new features.
Here's what's new and fixed in this update, which has the version number of 2016.706.354.0:
- You can now enjoy the newfound ability to DM yourself (it's useful for links and notes, as well as for talking to yourself, should you so wish).
- Creating new conversations, inviting people to existing channels are greatly improved, as is the experience of joining channels
- "We want to be able to download pictures!" you said. Fair enough, we replied. Download away!
- The overall app performance has had a boost. While we're not at the speed of light we're one step closer to making your day a bit more productive with less waiting.
- Fixed: Notifications are wasn't reliable and didn't always load correct. They are now.
- Fixed: You can now search for someone by their name and not just their @handle.
- Fixed: Some users experience nothing when using the app. As in "null". We can't promise they're all gone, but we think we've chased most of nothings down now, and made them into somethings.
- Fixed: It was possible to create a channel with invalid name. We make sure you can't do that anymore.
- Fixed: You can now actually reopen a DM with someone you've DM'ed with in the past. As opposed to before, when you couldn't. Sorry about that: We never meant to burn your bridges for you.
- Fixed: When signing in on Windows 10 Mobile, the first character on the email field always wanted to be capitalized. With stern words and sterner code, we put it in its rightful case.
Download Slack (beta) from the Windows Store (opens in new tab)
Sweet, I'll have one user to chat with!
Speaking of messaging yourself, I discovered a few years ago that Facebook allows that. It's really weird.
Slack's changelogs are always the best. It's good to see that the notifications should be fixed now. Before when I used Slack, it would take at least 15 minutes for me to receive a notification sometimes.
Messaging self is available on all serious platforms; it's a good way to keep things, like links or notes without leaving their service.
Yet, it's not available on WhatsApp...
My wife gets around that by setting up a WhatsApp group and just inviting me, it annoys the hell out of me! I might start taking revenge "Note to self: Don't forget anniversary (wrong date)
I'm sorry but I laughed way too hard!!! Have your revenge mate!
My point with it being weird is about how Facebook handles it. Once you message yourself, a green dot appears beside your own name in the messages list when you're using Facebook to tell you that you're available to message..
Forever alone much?
Really good app for teams and glad to see we are getting love. Hoping next update adds calling
My work uses slack extensively. I might have had to switch to android if they hadn't given us love.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.