Popular messaging service Telegram has brought its desktop app to the Windows Store. While it's not a universal app, the Telegram Desktop found on the Windows Store is essentially the same as the desktop app you could download directly from Telegram itself. The one big benefit of this listing, however, is that you can grab automatic updates directly through the Windows Store.
Since it shares the same guts as its strictly desktop (Win32) counterpart, Telegram Desktop features the same design, and animations that hit the app with its big 1.0 update in January. The release notes on the Windows Store also mention the following updates:
- Send MP4/MOV files as videos that will play right inside Telegram.
- Click on the date in any chat to quickly jump to messages from a specific day.
- Change your phone number in Settings.
- Edit who can see your last seen time and who can add you to groups in Settings.
- Edit your list of blocked users in Settings.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements.
While this version of Telegram was brought to the Windows Store using Microsoft's desktop bridge for turning existing desktop apps into UWP apps, Telegram has hinted in the past that it has plans for a full universal app. Whether that means we could still expect to see a desktop version built from scratch for Windows 10 is still a bit of a mystery.
In any case, if you're down for checking out the Windows Store version of Telegram Desktop, you should be able to download it to your PC now.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.