Tencent acquires minority stake in DayZ developer Bohemia Interactive
Tencent is investing in the developer of DayZ.
What you need to know
- Tencent is a Chinese gaming mega-conglomerate that owns a huge amount of developers and properties, and invests in countless more.
- In recent years, Tencent has continued to accelerate its investments into other companies, with Bohemia Interactive being the latest recipient.
- Tencent has now acquired a minority stake in Bohemia Interactive, the developer behind established games like Arma, DayZ, and more.
- The exact amount of the investment is not disclosed, and Bohemia Interactive will continue to operate independently of Tencent.
Tencent is a massive gaming-conglomerate and has invested in numerous companies. Recently, their efforts have accelerated dramatically, after gaining a minority stake in Dontnod Entertainment and a majority stake in Klei Entertainment. The latest company Tencent has invested in is the developer of DayZ and Arma. Announced today, Tencent has acquired a minority stake in Bohemia Interactive.
Bohemia Interactive is an established game developer behind several popular titles. The undisclosed investment sees Bohemia Interactive continue to be independent of Tencent with their existing management team, but the game developer is now working with Tencent to bring their portfolio to Chinese players and game makers.
Bohemia Interactive is most notable recently for their game DayZ, which is now available through Xbox Game Pass for consoles. If you haven't given the game a try yet, there's never been a better time to do so. Xbox Game Pass gives you access to hundreds of high-quality games that you can install and play whenever you want. If you're tight on storage, consider one of the Best External SSDs for Xbox Series X|S to add more space for all the incredible games on Xbox Game Pass.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Xbox Game Pass
- Get Xbox Game Pass For Just $1
- Xbox Game Pass: Everything To Know
- What is Xbox Game Pass Ultimate?
- Best Xbox Game Pass for Xbox One
- Best Xbox Game Pass for PC
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.