It’s just after 1PM ET, so the flood gates are open for the Lumia Black firmware and Update 3 OS update. We just confirmed that the Nokia Lumia 822, a Verizon exclusive, is now getting that update.
To check, head into your phone’s Settings and select Phone Update > Check for Updates. Users should be on Wi-Fi to do the update, as it contains an OS and firmware update.
Verizon was kind enough to even highlight some new features in a PDF detailing the update:
Lumia 822 – Software Version 3051.40000.1352.0042
- Driving mode turns off all device notifications with the option of setting text and phone calls to “on” while connected to a handsfree Bluetooth accessory
- Windows Phone now supports new accessibility features to assist people by reading information that’s on their screen including text and controls for phone calls, messaging, email, contacts and more
- Bing applications are now supported (includes Bing Finance, News, Sports and Weather) - Apps come pre-loaded for new users
- Multitasking capabilities have been enhanced
- Lock screen to portrait or landscape layout with Screen Orientation Lock
- OS 10517
- Lumia Black
In addition, Glance support with notifications should be present as well, making the 822 an even better, albeit underrated, Windows Phone.
There are a few more Lumia Black updates now available, so please stay tuned.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central. He is also the head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007, when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and watches. He has been reviewing laptops since 2015 and is particularly fond of 2-in-1 convertibles, ARM processors, new form factors, and thin-and-light PCs. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.