What you need to know
- The Nether Update is the next major update for Minecraft coming later this year.
- Up until now, it has only been available to individual snapshots for the Java Edition.
- Now, for the very first time, it's available in the Beta for the Bedrock Edition.
- This means participants in the program can try it on Windows 10, Xbox, and Android.
It's been a long road for Minecraft fans since the announcement of the next major update, the Nether Update. Since then, it's been snapshot after snapshot showcasing different parts of the Nether Update for Minecraft: Java Edition on Windows PC's. Now, for the very first time, the Nether Update is here for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition.
This means we're inching closer to release, and it should be a very big deal for anyone who 's been waiting to try the new update out. This is a very sizeable update, and features a lot of changes that bring the Bedrock Edition in line with the latest Java Edition snapshots, as well as making some improvements in the background. The big highlights include:
- Introduction of three new biomes. This includes the warped forest, crimson forest, and soulsand valley.
- A ton of new blocks. There are a bunch of blocks for each new biome, including soul soil, crimson and warped nylium, new vegetation, and a whole lot more.
- Several new mobs. Piglins are here with their own trading ecosystem, hoglins provide a source of food even in the Nether, and the zombified piglin takes over from the zombie pigmen.
- Netherite. Move over, diamond, you're no longer the strongest in town. The super-rare netherite is here, and promises to be even better than diamond.
- A very long list of tweaks, fixes, improvements and additions. This is a huge initial Beta, in which Mojang is introducing all the major changes so they can refine the update over the next month or two.
If you're interested, you can check out Mojang's blog post for a more in-depth changelog. There's definitely a lot to unpack here while we wait for the Nether Update to officially release. We'll be sorting through everything and giving you all the information you need to know, so watch this space as we roll everything out.
Are you going to give the first Beta a try? How excited are you for the Nether Update? Let us know in the comments below!
A game you can play anywhere with anyone.
The only thing that could make Minecraft even better is if you could play it in more places. Wait, you can? That's right, because Minecraft is available on almost every platform imaginable including Xbox One, Windows 10, Playstation 4, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Get it everywhere, play it anywhere.
Xbox Series X/S
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer primarily focused on covering the latest news, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been with Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019. While originally brought on to write about all things Minecraft, Zachary has since expanded to write about practically everything that Windows Central covers. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.