Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It's like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers!
Tonight on Beam, we played Warhammer: Vermintide, the dark fantasy take on Left 4 Dead from Fatshark. Four heroes must team up online to battle massive hordes of vile rat-men as the Warhammer universe draws towards its end, cooperation their only chance of survival. Read on for impressions, contest winners, and a video replay of the livestream.
Warhammer: The End Times – Vermintide
During the final days of the Warhammer universe, the vile Skaven have begun to march on the city of Ubersreik. The Skaven are a race of subterranean rat-like creatures that detest surface dwellers. It falls upon a small band of heroes to stop the hordes of rat-men from consuming the city.
Vermintide is a four-player online co-op game with five playable characters. The team must fight together to survive 16 unique missions, each with multiple difficulty levels. Hordes of rat-men and powerful Special Skaven can swarm the group at any times, so vigilance and cooperation are the name of the game.
Although its basic gameplay closely resembles the popular Left 4 Dead series, Vermintide improves upon the games that inspired it in several ways. For starters, players earn weapons and items upon completing levels that can improve their chances against the Skaven menace. Returning to the tavern hub-world between missions, our heroes can combine and fortify equipment with the crafting system. Players also have an overall level, with higher levels unlocking new equipment and features.
Warhammer: The End Times – Vermintide is an amazing cooperative game set within the dark and desperate fantasy universe. Don't miss our review, and be sure to watch us take on staggering odds in tonight's livestream!
We streamed Warhammer: The End Times – Vermintide for ~90 minutes tonight. During that time, we gave out a total of 13 game codes:
- 2 for Xbox One
- 2 for PlayStation 4 (North American accounts only)
- 9 for Steam
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We're now streaming on Beam, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Xbox One and Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Beam does not offer Xbox One or Windows Phone apps yet, so watching from the browser is the only option on Microsoft platforms. But Beam does offer apps on Android and iOS. Yes, that's a strange inequity. Native Xbox and Windows 10 support is coming though, so stick with us!
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 2am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- December 10: Dead Rising 4. Watch us battle zombies in Capcom's fresh Xbox and Windows 10 exclusive that launches on December 6th. Win Dead Rising 1, 2, or 'Off the Record' for Xbox One and PlayStation 4!
- December 17: Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. Watch us team up in this family-friendly third-person shooter and you could win the game for Xbox, PlayStation 4, or PC!
- December 24: Jackbox Party Pack 3. Join us for this special holiday party stream. Everyone can play along without owning the game, and we'll have extra prizes to give away!
- December 31: Little Acre, the beautiful adventure game coming to Xbox, PlayStation, and PC in December. Win a copy of your own!
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
These victors have dark times ahead of them, but they'll pull through!
Tonight's prizes provided by Fatshark. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.