It's been a busy week in the world of cord-cutting. Amazon rolled out the Fire TV Cube, which could well replace a couple of pieces of hardware in many living rooms. And Apple announced some fairly significant updates to Apple TV 4K — but they won't be ready for public consumption until the fall.
And understandably, many of us are thinking about chef/author/host/badass Anthony Bourdain this weekend. There's still time to catch his Parts Unknown series on Netflix before it's off that service.
Here's the rundown of what you need to read:
- Amazon Fire TV Cube is here: It's as if an Amazon Echo and Fire TV had a baby. Or something. We've got everything you need to know so far, including which Fire TV is right for you.
- What to do when your smart TV goes dumb: We're seeing more sets with full-blown operating systems, like Android TV, webOS, Roku and Fire OS. But what happens when the TV manufacturer abandons the set before its time?
- Apple's gorgeous screensavers on Android TV: Yes, you can do it. And, yes, you'll want it.
- Sonos Beam is a less-expensive Sonos sound bar: Sonos isn't known for inexpensive products. And while $399 ain't cheap, the Beam is a welcome addition to the lineup.
- Apple TV 4K will get Dolby Atmos support: Dolby Atmos is the coolest audio feature you probably don't have yet. (It takes compatible hardware, speakers, and source material.) But it's coming to Apple TV 4K this fall.
Update 6: Microsoft wants all of TikTok, but Trump's order may interfere
The Financial Times reports that as part of negotiations, Microsoft is now inquiring whether it can buy all of TikTok, instead of just the business in the US., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. This new plan would include India and Europe (and excluding China).
Apple responds to Project xCloud iOS block, Microsoft kicks back
With Microsoft's Project xCloud streaming platform locked out from iOS devices, Apple doubles down on App Store restrictions.
Fresh Surface Duo renders are here, reportedly coming to AT&T
Microsoft hasn't exactly been camera shy with the Surface Duo, but a new set of renders have leaked that offer an even closer look at the device. Alongside the leaked images, the leaker says Duo will be headed to AT&T in the U.S.
Best Affordable Desk Chair for Kids in 2020
Everyone needs a comfortable and practical chair to sit at their desk with, and that includes kids who are working on homework or arts-and-crafts. Here's a list of some of our favorite options.