What you need to know
- The second Patch Tuesday of October 2021 has arrived, bringing with it Windows 10 update KB5006738.
- The update is relatively small and contains a few key bug fixes.
- It is a non-security update for recent versions of Windows 10.
Though October 2021's big Patch Tuesday came and went already, bringing with it updates for both Windows 11 and Windows 10, there is now another patch in the wild, dropping on a Tuesday: Update KB5006738.
It's not a mandatory update, so there's no rush on grabbing it. If you want, you can wait until the regularly scheduled November 2021 Patch Tuesday rolls around. But for those of you affected by the issues KB5006738 (opens in new tab) addresses, now's as good a time as any to get in and get the fixes. Here are the big-ticket items covered in the latest update:
- Updates an issue an issue that might prevent subtitles from displaying for certain video apps and streaming video sites.
- Updates an issue that prevents Kana input mode users from inserting a question mark (?) using the Shift-0 key combination.
- Updates an issue that sometimes causes your lock screen background to appear black if you have set up a slideshow of pictures as your lock screen background.
The servicing stack also gets an update, as per usual.
November is set to feature bigger updates for Windows 10, such as the arrival of version 21H2. Version 21H2 will see 18 months of support for Pro and Home users, while Enterprise and Education customers will get 30 months. Windows 10 as a whole has four more years of support left in it, with the end date being October 2025.
Robert Carnevale is the News Editor for Windows Central. He's a big fan of Kinect (it lives on in his heart), Sonic the Hedgehog, and the legendary intersection of those two titans, Sonic Free Riders. He is the author of Cold War 2395. Have a useful tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.