Microsoft is rolling out another new Windows 10 preview build for Fast ring Insiders today. Today's build, which pushes the build number up to 17120, brings a few improvements to Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG), along with some more general improvements and bug fixes. There are also some known issues to be aware of related to Windows Mixed Reality.
Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) Improvements
- The Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) Team has introduced new improvements for users to have a better experience with our upcoming release. We have combed through our user feedback and acted to ensure your needs are met. On top of significant performance improvements, we have added an ability to download documents highlighted below.
- Performance improvements: The teams at Microsoft are constantly working to improve performance for our users. Windows Defender Application Guard is no different. In this upcoming feature update, you will notice an improvement in the launch time for Application Guard. We have made the start process lighter and faster, which will provide our users with a better experience when accessing Microsoft Edge in Windows Defender Application Guard.
- Download files to the host: One of the items our users voiced was an inability to "download files from within WDAG" to the host. This created an inconsistent experience for Edge overall as downloaded files were stuck inside the container. In this release, users can turn on a feature to download files from their WDAG browsing session onto the host file system. This feature is available in the Windows 10 Enterprise edition and must be turned on. Once the feature is enabled, users will be able to download files into a folder created in their Downloads folder and open all files on the host.
Windows Mixed Reality
Earlier this week, we announced that Insiders can take a sneak peek at the latest features coming this spring to Windows Mixed Reality as of Build 17115. With this build, the Windows Mixed Reality Team would like to let you know about a few known issues as you try out the new Windows Mixed Reality features:
- We're investigating reports of a performance regression for Windows Mixed Reality on hybrid laptops on this build.
- In some cases, the inbox apps will fail to load inside of Windows Mixed Reality and newly placed Holograms may be empty. Restarting Windows Mixed Reality should resolve both issues.
- Windows Mixed Reality will crash if you launch the Store from Movies & TV, and then close both apps.
- The ambient sound in Skyloft is louder than it should be.
- On laptops with hybrid GPUs the video doesn't render for 360 videos rendered directly in the Edge app although you can still hear the sound.
- The 360 viewer fails to launch from the Store app when you click on the "Launch" button after installing the 360 Viewer Edge extension. To workaround manually launch Edge and then enable the 360 Viewer extension.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- When a process in Task Manager is suspended, or has suspended child processes, you'll now see an icon indicating as much in the Status column of the Processes tab.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the UAC dialog potentially not rendering correctly in the last few flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in OneNote crashing when using touch to drag and drop elements in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the touch keyboard crashing when focus was moved to certain password fields.
- We've improved the performance of Bluetooth mice when the system is under load.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Amharic keyboard not working in Win32 apps.
That covers what's new in build 17120. For more, you can check out the full release notes at Microsoft.
Is this worth going through the hassle of updating?
the builds are pretty reliable so yes, depending on what features you are into. I think full release isn't too far off so just wait for that if you are hestitant. i'm not aware of a hassle though, just click one button, take a 30 minute walk and sit back down and you're good to go.
if you're in the release ring no because it will be it coming our way soon enough :-) :D
Dammit - no sound. Audio service won't start 😕
Same here. Cant start the damn audio service. Let me know if you find a solution!
You are not alone there :-(
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.