What you need to know
- A new build of Windows 10 is available for Fast ring Insiders.
- This build changes how unmuting volume works and also includes several fixes.
- Build 195587 is available via Windows Update for Fast ring Insiders now.
Microsoft shipped out another new Windows 10 preview build for Fast ring Insiders to check out. The release is build 19587 and includes several bug fixes and improvements. One notable change is that it makes it so muted volume doesn't unmute when you use hardware volume keys until you raise the volume or manually unmute your system.
Here's a full rundown of what's new in build 19587.
What's new in build 19587
General changes and improvements
- Based on feedback, when you have muted your volume, the volume will now not unmute when using the hardware keyboard volume keys until you raise the volume (or manually unmute).
- We made a couple of improvements to Narrator and how it works with some of the controls in Windows:
- Narrator now uses a more friendly string to describe the audio output in the Select playback device dropdown menu in the volume flyout.
- Narrator now announces more information in the Add Bluetooth or other devices dialog in the Settings application when first opened.
- We fixed an issue where the new icon next to Scan with Microsoft Defender in File Explorer's context menu didn't have a transparent background.
- We fixed an issue that could result in Default Apps page in Settings crashing when you tried to change defaults.
- We fixed an issue that could result in the search box being missing from certain apps.
- We fixed an issue where some files couldn't be opened in win32 apps from File Explorer when the path length to the file was very long and parts of the path included East Asian characters.
- We fixed an issue where thumbnails weren't being generated for pictures inside a Work Folder.
- We fixed an issue where adding the Session column to the Users tab in Task Manager would result in not being able to expand the details for a particular user.
For more on today's release, including a look at known issues, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes. Otherwise, Insiders enrolled in the Fast ring can pick up build 19587 via Windows Update now.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Why is the PS5 beating the Xbox Series X in comparisons? Microsoft responds
The Xbox Series X seems to be losing out against the PlayStation 5 in real-world side-by-side tests, and Microsoft has issued a statement. Here's what they had to say.
The Black Friday keyboard deals you need to know about
Getting your hands on a new keyboard is exciting for PC users, and thanks to Black Friday, it's more affordable than ever before. Here's a look at the best Black Friday keyboard deals available now.
Best Wireless Headsets for Xbox Series X, Series S 2020
Next-gen consoles need next-gen wireless. Here are our picks for the best wireless headsets for Xbox Series X and Series S.
These are the best PC sticks for when you're on the move
Instant computer, just add a screen! That’s the general idea of the ultra-portable PC Compute Sticks, but it can be hard to know which one you want. Relax, we’ve got you covered.