What you need to know
- A new build of Windows 10 is available for Fast ring Insiders.
- This build changes how unmuting volume works and also includes several fixes.
- Build 195587 is available via Windows Update for Fast ring Insiders now.
Microsoft shipped out another new Windows 10 preview build for Fast ring Insiders to check out. The release is build 19587 and includes several bug fixes and improvements. One notable change is that it makes it so muted volume doesn't unmute when you use hardware volume keys until you raise the volume or manually unmute your system.
Here's a full rundown of what's new in build 19587.
What's new in build 19587
General changes and improvements
- Based on feedback, when you have muted your volume, the volume will now not unmute when using the hardware keyboard volume keys until you raise the volume (or manually unmute).
- We made a couple of improvements to Narrator and how it works with some of the controls in Windows:
- Narrator now uses a more friendly string to describe the audio output in the Select playback device dropdown menu in the volume flyout.
- Narrator now announces more information in the Add Bluetooth or other devices dialog in the Settings application when first opened.
- We fixed an issue where the new icon next to Scan with Microsoft Defender in File Explorer's context menu didn't have a transparent background.
- We fixed an issue that could result in Default Apps page in Settings crashing when you tried to change defaults.
- We fixed an issue that could result in the search box being missing from certain apps.
- We fixed an issue where some files couldn't be opened in win32 apps from File Explorer when the path length to the file was very long and parts of the path included East Asian characters.
- We fixed an issue where thumbnails weren't being generated for pictures inside a Work Folder.
- We fixed an issue where adding the Session column to the Users tab in Task Manager would result in not being able to expand the details for a particular user.
For more on today's release, including a look at known issues, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes. Otherwise, Insiders enrolled in the Fast ring can pick up build 19587 via Windows Update now.
Update 4: Trump gives blessing to TikTok sale to Microsoft
TikTok may soon be owned by Microsoft. The company is reportedly in talks to buy out the U.S. portion of TikTok amid a rumored Trump administration order for TikTok owner Bytedance to divest. On Monday, President Trump says he does not oppose the sale so long as it is done by September 15.
We compare the Lenovo Legion 5i 15 with the ASUS TUF Gaming A15
Shopping for a new gaming laptop that hits mid-range performance and costs around $1,000? Check out how the Lenovo's Legion 5i 15 compares to the ASUS TUF Gaming A15.
Edge Canary is taking tabs vertical for some users
Microsoft has started testing its new vertical tab interface with at least some Edge Canary testers. This appears to be part of an A/B test, so it's not available to everyone at the moment.
10 must-have apps for any new PC
You just purchased a new PC and set it up, and now you're looking for some great apps. Look no further. These are the best apps for your new Windows 10 PC.