What's on your Windows Phone Start Screen, Mark Guim?
I've been using the Lumia Icon for a while, but recently switched to the Hulk, also known as the green Lumia 1520. I didn't back up and restore any of my previous items since I wanted to start fresh. I've noticed my new Start Screen is different on the new device, so this is a perfect time to show it off.
Daniel started off the series, with Sam, George, and Seth sharing their Start Screens, too. Read on and watch the video to see what's on my Lumia 1520.
- Windows Phone Store - I like to keep this on top, so I can check on app updates right away.
- Facebook, Twitter, Mail, and 6tag - These are my most frequently used apps. As you can see, they are pinned near the top of the Start Screen.
- Cortana - I can quickly access Cortana with the dedicated search button on Windows Phone, but I like having it on the Start Screen. The live tile occasionally displays interesting news.
- Messages folder - I've included Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, GroupMe, and the Windows Phone Messaging app in this folder. Most of my friends use Facebook for messaging, while a few people are on WhatsApp and GroupMe. I wish there was only one app that everyone agrees to use, but that's not the case. I don't use the default Messaging app, but I keep it there for important messages from my carrier.
- Calendar - I like the default Windows Phone calendar live tile for quick reminders on upcoming events or appointments.
- WPCentral - I absolutely love the WPCentral app. This makes it very easy to add comments and replies to our articles. (Store Link)
- Breaking News - I like the live tile for Breaking News. If I see anything interesting, I open the app to read more. (Store Link)
- Nextgen Reader - This is my Feedly app of choice. This is how I keep up to date with all my favorite blogs and news sites. (Store Link).
- OneNote - This is where I write down article ideas for WPCentral. I love that this is cross-platform. I can write notes on my phone, and they also show up on OneNote on my Macbook Pro and the Surface Pro 3.
- HERE Maps - When I need to find a place or navigate somewhere, this is my go-to app. It has gotten me lost several times lately, though. I should find alternatives. (Store Link)
- Photos - Access to my camera roll, screenshots, and other albums. It's not that interesting, but I use it often.
- Yelp - This is what I use when I need to find a place to eat. Yelp is especially great when I'm in a new area. (Store Link)
- FIFA 15 Companion - This app lets me manage my FIFA 15 Ultimate Team when I'm away from my Xbox One. (Store Link)
- Xbox One SmartGlass Beta - Love that I can type on my Xbox One and control video playback from this app. (More coverage, Store Link)
- Games folder: I place my current favorite games in this folder. I currently have Pako, Chronology, Neon Battleground, Daddy Was a Thief, and Lep's World 3.
- MixRadio - I prefer streaming music instead of downloading and storing them on my phone. MixRadio has nice playlists. (Store Link)
- Spotify - When I don't like what's playing on MixRadio, I open this app. (Store Link)
- NBC Sports Live Extra - Love this app for streaming Premier League games or watching highlights from games I've missed. (Store Link)
- Uber - This is so much more convenient than waiting for taxi or calling for car service. If you haven't tried it yet, you should. First ride is free up to $30. Use code uberapp30. (More coverage, Store Link)
- Phone - I don't use this often, but it has to be on the Start Screen.
I like to keep my Start Screen short, so I don't have to scroll that much. The most important apps stay on top. Are there any surprises here? Do you have recommendations? Sound off in the comments.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Messages. This now leaves you with 2 medium tile open spots. Move the Cortana tile next to the Mail til. Now you have a full large tile slot, move the Photo album tile to here. Gives you another beautiful life tile for your "Start page". Customize as you feel from there. IMO, spend more time in the 8.1 Forum with the Start screenshot layout guys. We do good work over there = )
Thanks in advance