I've been using the Lumia Icon for a while, but recently switched to the Hulk, also known as the green Lumia 1520. I didn't back up and restore any of my previous items since I wanted to start fresh. I've noticed my new Start Screen is different on the new device, so this is a perfect time to show it off.
- Windows Phone Store - I like to keep this on top, so I can check on app updates right away.
- Facebook, Twitter, Mail, and 6tag - These are my most frequently used apps. As you can see, they are pinned near the top of the Start Screen.
- Cortana - I can quickly access Cortana with the dedicated search button on Windows Phone, but I like having it on the Start Screen. The live tile occasionally displays interesting news.
- Messages folder - I've included Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, GroupMe, and the Windows Phone Messaging app in this folder. Most of my friends use Facebook for messaging, while a few people are on WhatsApp and GroupMe. I wish there was only one app that everyone agrees to use, but that's not the case. I don't use the default Messaging app, but I keep it there for important messages from my carrier.
- Calendar - I like the default Windows Phone calendar live tile for quick reminders on upcoming events or appointments.
- WPCentral - I absolutely love the WPCentral app. This makes it very easy to add comments and replies to our articles. (Store Link)
- Breaking News - I like the live tile for Breaking News. If I see anything interesting, I open the app to read more. (Store Link)
- Nextgen Reader - This is my Feedly app of choice. This is how I keep up to date with all my favorite blogs and news sites. (Store Link).
- OneNote - This is where I write down article ideas for WPCentral. I love that this is cross-platform. I can write notes on my phone, and they also show up on OneNote on my Macbook Pro and the Surface Pro 3.
- HERE Maps - When I need to find a place or navigate somewhere, this is my go-to app. It has gotten me lost several times lately, though. I should find alternatives. (Store Link)
- Photos - Access to my camera roll, screenshots, and other albums. It's not that interesting, but I use it often.
- Yelp - This is what I use when I need to find a place to eat. Yelp is especially great when I'm in a new area. (Store Link)
- FIFA 15 Companion - This app lets me manage my FIFA 15 Ultimate Team when I'm away from my Xbox One. (Store Link)
- Xbox One SmartGlass Beta - Love that I can type on my Xbox One and control video playback from this app. (More coverage, Store Link)
- Games folder: I place my current favorite games in this folder. I currently have Pako, Chronology, Neon Battleground, Daddy Was a Thief, and Lep's World 3.
- MixRadio - I prefer streaming music instead of downloading and storing them on my phone. MixRadio has nice playlists. (Store Link)
- Spotify - When I don't like what's playing on MixRadio, I open this app. (Store Link)
- NBC Sports Live Extra - Love this app for streaming Premier League games or watching highlights from games I've missed. (Store Link)
- Uber - This is so much more convenient than waiting for taxi or calling for car service. If you haven't tried it yet, you should. First ride is free up to $30. Use code uberapp30. (More coverage, Store Link)
- Phone - I don't use this often, but it has to be on the Start Screen.
I like to keep my Start Screen short, so I don't have to scroll that much. The most important apps stay on top. Are there any surprises here? Do you have recommendations? Sound off in the comments.