Caustic is a big tank character in Apex Legends. Like Gibraltar, he is a defensive playable character (PC) with some very cool status damaging attacks. While there are plenty of PCs to choose from for free, if you want to play as Caustic or Mirage from the get-go, you'll have to pay.
Products used in this guide
- Microsoft: Apex Legends Apex Coins (opens in new tab) ($10)
- Amazon: Xbox One X (opens in new tab) ($500)
Can you get Caustic for free?
Yes, you can get Caustic for free but not on the first day. You will need to play and collect legend tokens at each level up. You get around 600 tokens a level so you will need to be at least level 20 to get either Caustic or Mirage for free. If you can't wait that long, or you are happy to give Respawn some money, here is the quickest way to do it.
How to unlock Caustic
Just follow these steps:
- Head over to the The Microsoft Store (opens in new tab) to pick up at least 1,000 Apex Coins.
- Log in to your Xbox account to make sure your Apex Coins go to the right account.
- Turn on your Xbox One.
- Launch Apex Legends.
- In the main character select screen press RB to navigate over to the Store tab.
- Once in the Store tab, press RB again until you reach the legend tab.
- Cursor over to the icon of Caustic, and press A to select him.
- Here you can use 750 Apex coins or, if you have leveled up sufficiently, use your legend points to purchase him.
- Select Unlock with x, where x is the currency of choice
From here on out, you will have access to Caustic in your character roster and will be able to unlock all of his cosmetics as you play. Despite having noxious gas powers, Caustic has a defender or "tank" role in Apex Legends. His powers work to slow and disorient as opposed to outright poisoning people to death.
Our top equipment picks
These are the only two things you need to buy to unlock Caustic, as the game Apex Legends is free to play.
The quickest way to get Caustic
Apex Coins are the microtransaction currency of choice for Apex Legends. Happily, it is only used to purchase cosmetics, there is no Pay-to-Win here, though you can purchase new Player Characters as well.
While it is possible to get Caustic through the free in-game currency, if you want to play as him from day one you will need to spend some cash. He costs 750 Apex coins but as the minimum coins you can get is 1,000, you will need to at least buy that much.
The best way to play
The ultimate game console
With Xbox One X you are at the forefront of gaming console technology. With 4K visuals and blistering speed, the Xbox One X is the most futuristic console we have ever seen.
While there are other choices of Xbox One out there, the One X stands supreme. This bundle also comes with the very excellent Metro series, including the newest release, Metro: Exodus, which seems custom built for the Xbox One X.
James built his first PC when he was 13 and has never looked back. He can be found on Windows Central, usually in the corner where all the 3D printers are, or huddled around the Xbox playing the latest games.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.