Microsoft is putting together the next big feature update for its OneNote Windows 10 app, and Insiders are getting an early look. Specifically, the limited subset of Insiders on the Skip Ahead ring, which are currently testing the first Windows 10 Redstone 4 build, are the only ones who can get their hands on the latest features for now.
If you are one of the lucky Insiders in the Skip Ahead ring, however, there's quite a bit to check out here. The highlight feature of the latest update is ink to text, which lets you convert your handwritten notes to text. That's certainly a handy feature to have, especially if you're trying to keep all of your notes looking uniform.
Other bits and bobs include new ink effects, graph features, and much more. Here's a look at all of what's new in the latest OneNote update:
- Convert handwriting to text: Take quick handwritten notes, and later convert them to text to align with the rest of your content. It'll even preserve the size and color of your ink, as well as highlights and effects!
- More dazzling ink effects: Grab a pen on the Drawing tab and try out lava, ocean, bronze, and rose gold. Make your notes sparkle!
- More graph features: In addition to graphing your function, OneNote can now calculate its key features — such as minima, maxima, or axes intercepts.
- Revisit recent pages: Use the new Forward and Back arrows above the Home tab to navigate through the note pages you've already visited.
- Link to a specific paragraph: Create a link to a specific paragraph and jump to that content. It's a great way to make a quick table of contents at the top of a long page of notes, or copy the link and paste it in an email to help others find the specific content you want them to see.
- Copy a hyperlink: Right-click a hyperlink in your notes and copy the link to use in other places.
If you're enrolled in Skip Ahead, you should be able to grab the new features with an update to version 17.8568.5751 now. Once the Fall Creators Update launches in full on October 17 and more Insiders move on to testing Redstone 4 builds, we should expect OneNote to come to other Insider rings as well.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.