Blizzard can't catch a break lately, with its latest game launch becoming an instantaneous controversy. Features advertised for the game's launch are mysteriously missing, such as the re-built cutscenes, while major pillars of the original Warcraft III client have been removed entirely.
Today, Blizzard posted an update on the game's official forums detailing what it plans to address in the coming months.
- Blizzard is committed to Warcraft III for the "long term."
- Blizzard is addressing color problems found in the "classic" version of the client, which they say is caused by a bug.
- The patch will also fix portrait animations and audio bugs, UI issues, and "more," with patch notes coming soon.
- Leaderboards and clans will return in a "major" update in the future, to transition to the new MMR system. Blizzard will provide more info in the "coming weeks."
- Blizzard explained why it removed the original Reign of Chaos ruleset, citing "low usage," noting that they can return via custom games.
- Blizzard reiterated that it changed strategy on the in-game cutscenes, leaving them as they were 17 years ago, instead of the previously advertised "upgraded" versions with new camera angles and modernized story beats.
As someone who primarily wanted the campaign to be refreshed, I'm a bit disappointed that we're probably never going to see the advertised tweaks to the story, even as an option. For those who are invested in the game's multiplayer, hopefully, Blizzard will restore the client to its former greatness sooner, rather than later.
The full statement from Blizzard:
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Jez Corden a Managing Editor at Windows Central, focusing primarily on all things Xbox and gaming. Jez is known for breaking exclusive news and analysis as relates to the Microsoft ecosystem while being powered by caffeine. Follow on Twitter @JezCorden and listen to his Xbox Two podcast, all about, you guessed it, Xbox!
Blizzard don't exist anymore. What people are dealing with now are Activision-Blizzard, and they should expect to be screwed over appropriately.
Perfectly stated, you sir win this thread.
Absolutely true. This version of the company is not run by nice people.
Activision killed Bungie. And now Blizzard is all but dead. Bravo Activision.
I thought the push back against Bethesda was bad, and it is, but I've never seen such a turn on a company as what I'm seeing with Blizzard right now.
You don't think it's deserved?
No, it is more than deserved for both of them
Why do people still give money to these god awful companies is beyond me. Activision Blizzard, EA, Bungie, Warner Brothers, Bethesda & Ubisoft. These are scum bag corporations run bad people.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.