Cities: Skylines was announced for Xbox One some time ago, but Paradox Interactive has been quiet about the launch date, until now! Cities: Skylines Xbox One Edition will land sometime this Spring, and will also hit the Windows 10 Store. There's no word whether it will support Xbox Play Anywhere, but we've reached out to Microsoft to find out.
Cities: Skylines is highly praised on PC for its depth and huge feature set. The new trailer reveals updated controls for use with an Xbox gamepad, and the Xbox One edition also comes bundled with the After Dark expansion, which adds night-life systems to the game.
Here are the main features as listed on the game's official website:
- Build the city of your dreams: Plan road networks, bus lines and parks. Bring on a smog-filled industrial revolution or create a quiet beach town ideal for tourists powered by renewable energy. Bring education, healthcare and safety to your citizens. Build it your way!
- Multi-tiered and challenging simulation: Playing as the mayor of your city, you'll be faced with balancing essential requirements such as education, water electricity, police, firefighting, healthcare and much more, along with your city's economy. Citizens within your city react fluidly, keeping you on your toes with ever-evolving demands.
- Extensive local traffic simulation: Managing traffic and the needs of your citizens to work and play will require the use of several interactive transport systems – use careful road planning alongside buses, trains, subways, and much more.
- Districts and policies: Be more than just another city hall official! Create a car-free downtown area, assign free public transport to your waterfront, or ban pets in suburbia. Designate parts of your city as a district in order to set policy at the local level, and give different parts of town their own personalities.
- After Dark included: Watch your city become an entirely different place at night: a day-night cycle will have your citizens seeking out places to unwind after work. Add in new policies and zones to create popular hotspots and provide enough taxis and trains to get to and from the clubs!
Getting Cities: Skylines on Xbox One and Windows 10 is a huge win for Microsoft, given the game's wild popularity on Steam and other PC platforms. Paradox Interactive are a world-class developer and publisher, with acclaimed titles like Stellaris, Europa Universalis, Pillars of Eternity, and Tyranny in their extensive library. Hopefully, the addition of Cities: Skylines is a sign of things to come for Xbox One and the Windows 10 Store.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Jez Corden a Managing Editor at Windows Central, focusing primarily on all things Xbox and gaming. Jez is known for breaking exclusive news and analysis as relates to the Microsoft ecosystem while being powered by caffeine. Follow on Twitter @JezCorden and listen to his Xbox Two podcast, all about, you guessed it, Xbox!