Destiny 2 is being upgraded for free on Xbox Series X and PS5 with cross-play coming sometime in 2021
Good news regardless of platform.
What you need to know
- Bungie talked in-depth about the future of Destiny 2 today.
- This included the news that Destiny 2 is being upgraded for free on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.
- If you already own Destiny 2 content on Xbox One or PlayStation 4, you'll receive the next-gen version for free.
During today's stream on the future of Destiny 2, one of the many aspects discussed was how the game would continue on next-generation platforms. Bungie revealed that not only would Destiny 2 run at 4K resolution and 60 frames per second but players who already own the game won't need to rebuy it.
Destiny 2 supports Smart Delivery on Xbox Series X, meaning Xbox One owners will get a free upgrade. PlayStation 4 owners will similarly be able to carry over their purchases and will receive a free upgrade on PlayStation 5.
Bungie detailed a fair bit of the future for Destiny 2, including the Season of Arrivals and the names of planned expansions through 2022. The fall 2020 expansion is called Beyond Light, while console cross-play is on the way sometime in 2021. You can read more about all that right here.
The Darkness has arrived
Shadowkeep is the latest Destiny 2 expansion, bringing players a terrifying new adventure against the Hive and sees the arrival of a mysterious, fear-inducing threat.
Xbox Series X/S
- Xbox Series X: Everything we know
- Best games coming to Xbox Series X/S
- List of Xbox Series X specs
- What is the Xbox Series X release date?
- How much does Xbox Series X cost?
- Why you can't preorder Xbox Series X yet
- Best Xbox Series X Headsets
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Samuel Tolbert is a freelance writer covering gaming news, previews, reviews, interviews and different aspects of the gaming industry, specifically focusing on Xbox and PC gaming on Windows Central. You can find him on Twitter @SamuelTolbert.