One of the big advantages for developers on Windows Phone 8 is the ability to use new gaming engines to drive the graphics. Unity is such an example, and it’s used by many gaming houses for development. The problem previously was that developers would have to rewrite their games specifically for Windows Phone with degradation in performance and appearance. Between the time and the final product, most developers walked away.
We’ve been anticipating the first Unity-driven game for Windows Phone 8 for some time and that day is evidently upon us. Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore tweeted today that Drift Mania Championship 2 is the first game on Windows Phone to feature the Unity engine. The game runs for $1.99 with no trial and weighs in at 200MB.
The game itself is your typical racer game, complete with car customizations and head to head battles, but it also features the whole ‘drifting’ sub-genre where through controlled skids, you drift through turns. Doing so will get you points and doing it with flare even more so.
Peep our hands on video after the break...
From the app description:
“With over 10 million players worldwide, the #1 Drift game on the App Store is finally back! Drift Mania Championship 2 delivers the ultimate drift experience with its highly addictive gameplay and next generation graphics.
Start a drift career or compete in a drift battle tournament or play against a friend using the new online multiplayer mode. Upgrade and fully customize your ride with performance upgrades and visual mods. Complete over 60 achievements in career mode. Challenge drivers from all over the world using the global leaderboards. “
- HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS - Drift Mania Championship 2 includes next generation 3D graphics specially optimized for your hardware to provide you with the best drifting experience.
- UPGRADE YOUR RIDE - Upgrade your ride by installing aftermarket performance products from licensed brands including Royal Purple, K&N, Magnaflow, Centerforce, Whiteline and Mishimoto.
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR CAR - Fully customize your vehicle appearance with body kits, custom wheels, windows tints and spoilers. Make it your one of a kind drift beast!
- TUNER FRIENDLY - Adjust different aspects of your car including the suspension, steering sensitivity, gear ratio and weight distribution to suit your own driving style.
- BECOME A DMC CHAMPION - Complete the career mode which includes over 13 drift circuits, 60 achievements and 48 performance upgrades to unlock. Gain cash to upgrade your favorite ride with visual and performance mods.
- DRIFT BATTLE - Start a drift tournament, compete in tandem against an opponent while making your way to the finals!
- ONLINE & LOCAL MULTIPLAYER MODE - Challenge your friends to a drift battle!
We’ve only played with it for a few minutes, so our judgment is quite preliminary—it’s not a bad racing game and it is evidently quite popular on iOS, so of this is your style then it is worth checking out (we’ll have a few review coming soon).
Like we said, there is no trial for Drift Mania Championship 2 but you if you have a Windows Phone 8 device and don’t mind parting with $1.99, you can find it here in the Store.
Want to learn more about Unity? Read our exclusive interview with their CEO on why they’re working with Microsoft for Windows Phone 8.
Update 6: Microsoft wants all of TikTok, but Trump's order may interfere
The Financial Times reports that as part of negotiations, Microsoft is now inquiring whether it can buy all of TikTok, instead of just the business in the US., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. This new plan would include India and Europe (and excluding China).
Apple responds to Project xCloud iOS block, Microsoft kicks back
With Microsoft's Project xCloud streaming platform locked out from iOS devices, Apple doubles down on App Store restrictions.
Review: You should buy this gaming chair for League of Legends Solo Q
Call yourself a fan of League of Legends? If you're looking for a new chair for the gaming den, you should check out the official League of Legends chairs from Secretlab. We're reviewing one of them right here.
Go sim racing in style with any one of these great cockpits
Sim racing has experienced a boom in 2020 and that's led to some serious interest in getting a good cockpit. Whether you're new to the scene or more experienced and looking to up your game, one of these cockpits will give you comfort and support while you race all day and night.