Fitbit today has released their brand new universal app for Windows 10. The app is now available for PCs, tablets, and laptops running the new Windows 10 operating system. Moreover, later this year, Fitbit is releasing the same app for the Xbox One and Windows 10 Mobile, letting users have the same experience across all devices.
We have been running the Fitbit app for Windows 10 for a few days now and are coming away very impressed. The important takeaway is that this app demonstrates the power of the universal Windows 10 app model. Additionally, the app is very well designed and simply looks fantastic. Here are the main features and our hands-on video.
From the press release:
Fitbit Announces New Windows 10 App, Designed to Motivate with Enhanced Features
Redesigned live tiles let Fitbit users access data faster to help them reach their health and fitness goals; enhanced universal design provides intuitive, engaging experience across all Windows platforms
SAN FRANCISCO – August 13, 2015 – Fitbit, Inc., the leader in the connected health and fitness market, today announced the Fitbit for Windows 10 app, delivering a more engaging and fluid app design that lets users personalize the way they interact with key pieces of their health and fitness journey across all their Windows devices. Through new Windows 10 app features, people at all fitness levels can now more easily access and log their most important personalized data in real-time. Fitbit helps users track their steps, activity, exercise, food, weight and sleep, providing the information they need to more successfully reach their goals. Fitbit users can download the Windows 10 app from the Windows Store to their desktop and tablet. Fitbit for Windows 10 will be available for Windows 10 mobile and Xbox One later this year.
"For a Fitbit user, health and fitness progress helps them make timely decisions throughout the day – from what to order for lunch, to take the stairs instead of the elevator, or what time to go to bed," said James Park, CEO and Chairman, Fitbit. "As we do across all platforms, we continue to design features that empower people with information and motivation to set and reach goals with engaging experiences through our mobile apps. With the new Windows 10 app, we worked closely with Microsoft to give Windows users an even easier way to access, utilize and interact with the information that matters most to them, across all their Windows devices, to further support them in their fitness journey."
"These key features illustrate the continued innovation of the Fitbit platform, which combines connected health and fitness devices with software and services, including an online dashboard and mobile apps, data analytics, motivational and social tools, personalized insights and virtual coaching through customized fitness plans and interactive workouts. As a pioneer in the category and the first in the industry to bring direct mobile syncing to the Windows Phone platform, Fitbit products have broad mobile compatibility with computers and more than 200 Windows Phone, iOS and Android devices, plus integration with third‐party apps further extending its reach.
"The new Fitbit for Windows 10 app is available for free and is compatible with Fitbit's family of products, including the Fitbit Surge™, Fitbit Charge HR™, Fitbit Charge™, Fitbit Flex®, Fitbit One® and Fitbit Zip® activity trackers, as well as the Aria® Wi-Fi Smart Scale. To download the free Fitbit for Windows 10 app, please visit the Windows Store."
Fitbit for Windows 10
- Updated live tiles that have been redesigned with more information and new notification types to let users quickly access their most critical data to better enable them to reach their personalized health and fitness goals.
- Quick actions to help users log and track their health and fitness activities, such as food, water intake and exercise, as well as set alarms more efficiently with the simple click of a button, encouraging more frequent logging.
- Cortana support allows users to speak commands on Windows 10 tablets, PCs, and mobile phones – such as "Fitbit, I ate chicken for dinner" or "Fitbit, I went for a three-mile run" – for automatic and easier food and activity logging.
- Notification center now consolidates all users' important notifications and messages in a dedicated tab making it effortless to review progress, or stay motivated with cheers, taunts and encouragements from friends and family.
- Enhanced syncing with Bluetooth on all Windows 10 devices with supported hardware provides users with quicker access to their health and fitness stats, so they can make timely decisions to reach their objectives.
- Universal design and continuum support allows users to customize and effortlessly view their most important personalized data in real-time with an enhanced visual experience adjusted for whatever Windows 10 device they are using.
The Fitbit app can run at full screen or windowed including custom sizing. As demonstrated in our video hands-on, when you shrink the window small enough it turns basically into the phone app (the Twitter app does this too). This where the strength of Windows 10 app model comes into play as you can first-hand see how a Universal Windows App behaves and auto scales according to the display. This design also means that you can leave the app floating on your desktop akin to a chat or messaging app or let it reside in the Task Bar.
Native Bluetooth syncing means you do not need the Fitbit dongle plugged into your USB port. Instead, the app pairs and syncs automatically with Windows 10, allowing all-day syncing to your PC.
The app also gets notifications, letting you know when you are approaching your step goal and various achievements. It behaves much like the phone app and ties nicely into the Action and Notification Center in Windows 10.
Other bonuses include the new Live Tile, which I recommend you run on Large to reveal your full details. The Tile also flips for incoming messages or Challenges.
Wrap up and Download!
Overall, Fitbit has done an excellent job of utilizing Windows 10 to its fullest. From Cortana support to Live Tiles to universal scaling the app is a must-have for those with a Fitbit accessory. Watch our hands-on video or just go ahead and download the app yourself.
Note: If the update is not yet live for you, give it some time to populate the store and keep checking back!
Let us know in comments what you think!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.