What you need to know
- GoldenEye 007 is a First-Person Shooter developed by Rare for Nintendo 64, based on the 1995 James Bond movie, GoldenEye.
- A list of Xbox achievements has been leaked for Goldeneye 007, hinting at a possible Xbox release for the classic title.
Back in 1997, the videogame developer Rare, known for classic titles such as Donkey Kong Country, Banjo Kazooie, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Sea of Thieves, and Conker's Bad Fur Day, released a videogame tie-in to the James Bond franchise — GoldenEye 007. It was a First-Person Shooter released for the Nintendo 64, and it is based on the 1995 James Bond movie, GoldenEye. This game was critically acclaimed for pushing the graphical capabilities of the Nintendo 64, its intuitive gunplay and stealth gameplay, and a competitive four-player deathmatch mode that was ahead of its time.
Now it appears the classic title will be coming to Xbox consoles as an Xbox Backwards Compatibility port. On New Year's Day, a list of Xbox achievements had shown up on TrueAchievements for GoldenEye 007 along with several art assets (via Wario64).
The list of achievements is as follows:
- RUN! — Complete Dam on any difficulty (20G).
- Now try gunning for 2:05... — Complete Facility on any difficulty (20G).
- Fly away! — Complete Runaway on any difficulty (20G).
- Dual Wielding! — Complete Surface 1 on any difficulty (20G).
- Shootin' Camera! — Complete Bunker 1 on any difficulty (20G).
- Old-School Rockets — Complete Silo on any difficulty (20G).
- Calm Seas — Complete Frigate on any difficulty (20G).
- Back Again, Part One — Complete Surface 2 on any difficulty (20G).
- Back Again, Part Two — Complete Bunker 2 on any difficulty (20G).
- So, So Lost… — Complete Statue Park on any difficulty (20G).
- Interrogate This! — Complete Archives on any difficulty (20G).
- TANK! — Complete Streets on any difficulty (20G).
- Brief Respite — Complete Depot on any difficulty (20G).
- How Long is this Train?! — Complete Train on any difficulty (20G).
- Atmosphere, 90s Style! — Complete Jungle on any difficulty (20G).
- Hello, Mr. Bond! — Complete Control on any difficulty (20G).
- I Know It's Here Somewhere… — Complete Caverns on any difficulty (20G).
- Blockbuster Boss Fight! — Complete Cradle on any difficulty (20G).
- That Music, Though… — Complete Aztec on any difficulty (30G).
- Samedi Fight Fever! — Complete Egyptian on any difficulty (30G).
- Welcome Back, 007 — Complete the GoldenEye story on Agent difficulty (40G).
- Loyal to the Mission — Complete the GoldenEye story on Secret Agent difficulty (50G).
- Oh, James… — Complete the GoldenEye story on 00 Agent difficulty (60G).
- Double ZZZZAP! — Unlock 2x Lasers by completing Aztec on Secret Agent in 9:00 or Less (10G).
- Better Than 2x Klobbs — Unlock 2x RC-P90s by completing Caverns on 00 Agent in 9:30 or less (10G).
- Who needs framerate? — Unlock 2x Rocket Launchers by completing Bunker 1 on 00 Agent in 4:00 or less (10G).
- Target Acquired! — Unlock 2x Throwing Knives by completing Bunker 2 on Agent in 1:30 or less (10G).
- Full Arsenal! — Unlock All Guns by completing Egyptian on 00 Agent in 6:00 or less (10G).
- Chest-Pounding Goodness — Unlock DK Mode by completing Runway on Agent in 5:00 or less (10G).
- DUCK! — Unlock Enemy Rockets by completing Streets on Agent in 1:45 or less (10G).
- Here They Come! — Unlock Fast Animation by completing Statue on Secret Agent in 3:15 or less (10G).
- Best in Class — Unlock Gold PP7 by completing Cradle on Agent in 2:15 or less (10G).
- One Shot, Just One… — Unlock Golden Gun by completing Egyptian on any difficulty (10G).
- The Art of Boom — Unlock 2x Grenade Launchers by completing Surface 1 on Secret Agent in 3:30 or less (10G).
- Now It's Klobbering Time! — Unlock Infinite Ammo by completing Control on Secret Agent in 10:00 or less (10G).
- Where Are you, Dr. Doak?! — Unlock Invincibility by completing Facility on 00 Agent in 2:05 or less (10G).
- Cheater! — Unlock Invisibility by completing Archives on 00 Agent in 1:20 or less (10G).
- Screen Cheater! — Unlock No Radar (Multi) by completing Frigate on Secret Agent in 4:30 or less (10G).
- This Is the Way — Unlock Paintball Mode by completing Dam on Secret Agent in 2:40 or less (10G).
- That's All I Get For This?! — Unlock Silver PP7 by completing Train on 00 Agent in 5:25 or less (10G).
- So Much Drama! — Unlock Slow Animation by completing Depot on Secret Agent in 1:40 or less (10G).
- Everyone is Odd! — Unlock Tiny Bond by completing Surface 2 on 00 Agent in 4:15 or less (10G).
- Booster! —Unlock Turbo Mode by completing Silo on Agent in 3:00 or less (10G).
- Double-Cut — Unlock 2x Hunting Knives by completing Jungle on Agent in 3:45 or less (10G).
- World Tour — Play a multiplayer match on every map (20G).
- Decimated — Play 10 multiplayer matches (20G).
- Q Branch Specialist — Play a multiplayer match using every weapon set (20G).
- Playing By the Rules — Play each type of multiplayer scenario at least once (20G).
- Multi-streak — Play five back-to-back multiplayer matches (20G).
- Merciless — Kill a player while they're unarmed (20G).
- Licence to Kill — Score 100 kills in multiplayer matches over time (20G).
- A Treehouse Classic — Play a match: Remote Mines, on Complex (20G).
- Slapstick Comedy — Play a match: Slappers Only, on Complex, Licence to Kill (20G).
- Should Use a Guide — Earn the 'Mostly Harmless' multiplayer award (20G).
- Unusual Work — Play as Oddjob in a multiplayer match (Secret) (20G).
While this is most likely a direct port of the original game rather than a remaster, Xbox has been known to use enhancement tech like FPS Boost to improve older games in the past.
Could this all result in more collaboration efforts between Microsoft and Nintendo? It would sense considering that Rare's Banjo and Kazooie appeared as guest characters in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, and their namesake title is now available on the Nintendo Switch. Not to mention that 2022 will be marking GoldenEye 007's 25th anniversary, so now would be the perfect time to bring it back for modern audiences and celebrate its legacy. It undoubtedly would be a worthy additition to the Xbox's massive library of backwards compatible titles and Xbox Game Pass. We'll be sure to update you if and when (most likely when) this goes official.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Alexander Cope is a gaming veteran of 30-plus years, primarily covering PC and Xbox games here on Windows Central. Gaming since the 8-bit era, Alexander's expertise revolves around gaming guides and news, with a particular focus on Japanese titles from the likes of Elden Ring to Final Fantasy. Alexander is always on deck to help our readers conquer the industry's most difficult games — when he can pry himself away from Monster Hunter that is!