Reddit user crimsonBZD has laid out some excellent settings to get the most out of your Fallout 76 graphics on PC as well as a few other helpful settings. This guide will take you through how to add them to your game.
This guide is for altering the INI file in your Fallout 76 folder on the PC. If you are unsure or worried about doing this remember, all you have to do is reinstall the game if something goes wrong. You won't break your PC if you mess this up.
Products used in this guide
- Microsoft Store: Fallout 76 (opens in new tab) ($60)
- **Navigate to /Documents/My Games/Fallout 76
- Make a copy of Fallout76prrfs.ini
- Rename the copy Fallout76Custom.ini
- Open the Fallout76Custom.ini file in Notepad
- Delete all the information inside the **Fallout76Custom.ini file. This is the file you made not the original file.
- Copy and Paste the information below to set the up the custom settings:
- Use the fDefault1stPersonFOV=90.00 and fDefaultWorldFOV=90.00 to change your field of view in game. The higher the number the further you can see but the more it will impact your performance.
- Save the file. This will overide any INI file in that folder until you delete it.
- To restore your old INI file simply delete the Fallout76Custom.ini file. This will give your original Fallout76prefs.ini file priority again.
What does this really do?
With this new configuration, you will get to see far more of this beautiful game than you can now but be warned, things get a little weird if you increase you field of view too much. Spaghetti arms are weird. Bethesda have made some weird choices here by making the first-person view act more like a camera than a human eye. As the Reddit user says "One of these entires [sic] also turns off lense [sic] flare, because your eyeballs aren't cameras."
The depth of field is also a strange look for the human eyes as our eyes adjust that on the fly. Having something else choose what to blur makes the average person uncomfortable. By removing that you should be able to enjoy the game much more.
This new INI file also decreases the auto save time allowing you to have a more up-to-date save point when you log out. If you want to get more involved with anti-alias settings and mouse sensitivity the Reddit post is getting more and more added to it as people find more settings to improve the game.
The fall of mankind
Welcome to reclamation day!
Fallout 76 continues the Fallout franchise with a new multiplayer world set in West Virginia. Work in teams or alone to control your slice of the world after the fall.
James built his first PC when he was 13 and has never looked back. He can be found on Windows Central, usually in the corner where all the 3D printers are, or huddled around the Xbox playing the latest games.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.