MyTube is already one of the best third-party YouTube apps you can pick up on the Microsoft Store, and it's getting even better with its latest update. Now available across Windows 10, Xbox, and mobile, myTube version 3.3 adds the ability to watch videos and chat with friends through "Rooms," support for Windows Timeline, a new theatre mode, and a whole lot more.
The highlight feature of myTube 3.3 is the aforementioned Rooms, which, while technically in beta, is a pretty ambitious addition. Rooms will let you join in on watching videos with friends, keeping them synced up with each person so you can experience whatever you're watching at the same time. You can get started with room from the bottom of the account menu on PC and mobile, or from the bottom left of the home page on Xbox. Just be aware that you will likely encounter plenty of bugs with Rooms as the feature continues to be ironed out over the coming months.
There are also a few more important features tagging along in version 3.3. A new private mode will let you browse without having any of your viewing history saved, and those who want to switch between myTube's supported languages will now be able to do so at any time. Newly added support for Windows Timeline means you can see your watched videos within Timeline, allowing you to pick up where you left off. Finally, for PC users, a new Theatre Mode will fill the full app window with video without sending you into full-screen mode.
If you use myTube on Xbox, you'll also get some new stuff to check out as well. Most importantly, you can now swap between the TV UI and the PC UI at any point, with a simulated mouse cursor available in the latter. The "Up Next" UI has also seen some refinements, and selected UI elements will now be highlighted by a colored glow, much like the rest of the Xbox system UI.
- Added myTube Rooms (beta), which allows you to watch videos together and chat with friends
- Added Private Mode to settings, which prevents watched videos from being recorded to history or the timeline
- Enabled manual language selection
- Small changes to reveal lighting brushes and button template
- Fixed playlist bookmarking
- Fixed some strings which weren't translated
- Fixed issue where pressing enter in the description text box on the upload page didn't create a new line
- Fixed occasional crash that could occur when the app tries to load new videos in a list that was already disposed of
- Fixed issue where devices might not show up in the video share menu
- Reduced memory usage of the WebView player after it's finished being used
- Removed requirement for remote system to have a status of "Available" before casting to it
- When an app restart is required and the device doesn't support restart requests, a toast is shown allowing the app to be restarted after being closed
- Optimized http server code, improving the performance of myTube-to-myTube casting
- Will attempt to cast with myTube-to-myTube casting even if the remote device URI launch fails, as the launch can sometimes succeed but still return an error
- (Fall Creators Update) When a setting is changed that requires a restart, the app will actually restart instead of closing
- (PC) Added Theatre Mode
- (PC) Watched videos are added to the Windows timeline
- (PC) Zoom in animation on thumbnails when moused over
- (PC & Mobile) Added playlist history to history page
- (PC & Mobile) Added individual video tile pinning
- (PC & Mobile) Added small size template to live tiles
- (PC & Mobile) Added "Up next" experience to the end of videos (same as on Xbox)
- (PC & Mobile) Slightly modified layout for account section
- (PC & Mobile) Fixed bug that caused the comment section header to sometimes have the title of the video, instead of "Comments"
- (PC & Mobile) Fixed issue where the text selection highlight wasn't visible in the search box
- (Xbox) Added the ability to leave TV Mode and use the PC UI
- (Xbox) Enabled share button in video details
- (Xbox) Rebuilt "Up next" UI
- (Xbox) Fixed issue where jumping forward with LB/RB would not seek to the correct time in WebView playback unless the player controls were visible
- (Xbox) Worked around UWP issue where the cursor may appear during WebView playback, causing the player controls to always be visible
- (Xbox) Added support for system reveal focus visual
- (Xbox) Directional focus is less strict, so items won't be skipped if they slightly overlap the currently focused item
If you're ready to start checking out all of what's new, myTube 3.3 is available for download now from the Microsoft Store across PC, Xbox, and mobile.
See at Microsoft Store (opens in new tab)
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the Editor in Chief for Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl. Got a hot tip? Send it to email@example.com.
Absolutely one of the best apps in the Windows store.
Concur. myTube forever! ❤
Totally agree, a shining example of what UWP apps should be!
Better than YouTube apps on android. I pretty sure google wont allow such featuristic client on thier platform.
They've broken the API several times. But MyTube always fixed it.
Nice. Now that a huge changelog
This is one of, if not the, Best YouTube app I've ever used, it might even have features that Excel those of YouTube!!! I've enjoyed using this app since it first came out and is a very real rival over YouTube and might even be chosen over the YouTube app if the choice was there!! I've never seen such dedication or innovation for a Windows app where the app is constantly being improved and basically always in Beta as the creator is always asking for feedback and listening to the users and then updating accordingly, not to mention moving it across platforms and just making it a really enjoyable experience to use. Big Thanks to the Developer and his loyalty towards the users and the windows ecosystem!!!!
The best YouTube app on the market right there! I use it on my phone, all my PCs and Xbox One X. Would like the ability to save videos offline to Xbox's internal storage but really loving the support thus far.
Awesome App.Hats off to developer
This app is what makes me miss Windows mobile the most. The stock YouTube Android app is much worse. I would pay anything for this app to come to Android. It's probably unlikely, but porting over with free offline downloads and audio only streams would be awesome!
those two feature are against Google policy, so no app like this on Play store.
This, and ad-free watching 💪
> Added Private Mode to settings, which prevents watched videos from being recorded to history or the timeline MS needs to think about such a feature in Windows !
With timeline and the coming cloud clipboard, that would become very useful
Well, it doesn't save anything you do. In private browsing.
but as more and more apps save their activity in timeline, while they don't have private browsing option (as they're not browsers), that'd be useful.
This app is fantastic. Andoid app sucks. Plus google took off all the 3rd party apps. So now you have to pay to get those few nice features.
Or you could use a browser. In some ways the browser experience is still better.
I am a big user of this app. Use it on all my devices. Really happy for the update.
Does anyone have a problem with the video quality capped at 1080 even though you've selected 4K in the playback setting. Also if you skip far enough into a video the whole player freezes for a while?
Not had that problem, but have had myTube force close while skipping ahead.
I've had this. myTube sometimes will, sometimes won't load 1440p video; most of the time it's stuck at 1080. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my Internet connection. Also, yeah, it can be unstable.
Their commenting system is still weak. I'd like to see improvements there before any new social feature. You can't even edit your comment!
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.