As we reported earlier, the NoDo update started pushing out yesterday, starting with unbranded phones, and members of the ChevronWP7 Team (Chris Walsh and Raphael Rivera) posted a hack to "debrand" HTC phones in order to get the update early. Now another hack has surfaced; this time for LG phones. Unlike the HTC hack, LG phones do not have to be "dev unlocked." So far, the hack has allowed users to get the pre-NoDo update, but has not yet been proven to result in getting NoDo. If you're feeling antsy, here's how to do it:
1. Enable the MFG application by going to the dialer and dialing ##634# then pressing call.
2. Launch the MFG application and enter 277634#*# when prompted for a password.
3. Select the Engineer Menu item.
4. Select the Other Setting menu item.
5. Select the Edit registry menu item.
6. Set the input boxes on this menu as follows:
Select ROOT_PATH: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Input SUB_PATH: \System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\
Input KEY: MobileOperator
Data Type: STRING
7. Select Query and write down the result in case you need to re-brand for some reason.
8. To debrand just enter the same information above and leave the input data field blank. The tool will say fail but it really did set correctly.
You can now connect to Zune and check for updates.
Update 6: Microsoft wants all of TikTok, but Trump's order may interfere
The Financial Times reports that as part of negotiations, Microsoft is now inquiring whether it can buy all of TikTok, instead of just the business in the US., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. This new plan would include India and Europe (and excluding China).
Apple responds to Project xCloud iOS block, Microsoft kicks back
With Microsoft's Project xCloud streaming platform locked out from iOS devices, Apple doubles down on App Store restrictions.
Got a Surface Pro and need a dock? Read this.
If your Surface Pro is your main PC, you can use a docking station to turn it into a powerful workstation. Here's our recommendation for the best dock.
These are all the best displays for your XPS 15
When the large display found on the XPS 15 just isn't enough to get work done, attaching one of these external displays can vastly improve your productivity with more screen real estate.