Gestures are part and parcel of using our favorite devices these days. Be it a smartphone, tablet or a laptop, swipes, taps and drags are part of the fabric of the various operating systems on offer. In Windows 10, there are a few quick access features you can enable for when you use three fingers on the trackpad. Not all trackpads may be able to do this. For clarity, we're using a Precision Trackpad on the 2015 Dell XPS 13.
If you didn't know they were there you could easily miss them. Here's what you can do and how you can do it.
1. Open Settings and choose "Devices"
2. Choose "Mouse & touchpad" from the left hand pane
Then in the right hand pane scroll all the way to the bottom where you'll find two boxes relating to three-finger gestures.
3. Choose your preferred settings
Here's a breakdown of what you can do and what each thing does:
- Search with Cortana - When enabled a three-finger tap on the trackpad will bring up Cortana. Perfect if you either can't use "Hey Cortana" voice activation or if you're in a situation where you can't use it, such as a meeting.
- Action Center - Enable this to give quick access to your notifications and quick settings toggles with a single three-finger tap on the trackpad.
- Nothing - Turn both of the above off.
- Switching apps - this is exactly the same as using Alt+Tab on the keyboard and allows you fast switching between apps you currently have open. Which is better is a matter of preference, but some folks will undoubtedly prefer accessing from the trackpad.
- Nothing - Turn swipe actions off.
So, a limited feature set, but still feature adding to Windows 10. If you spend a lot of time using a trackpad either on a laptop or with a desktop PC, these few options could integrate nicely into your workflow.
For more Windows 10 tips be sure to drop by our dedicated page here
Surface Laptop 3 owners reporting cracked screens, Microsoft investigating
A subset of Surface Laptop 3 owners report that their screens have cracked, seemingly through no fault of their own. Microsoft says it is aware of the reports and "investigating the root cause of the claims."
How Rainbow Six Siege’s Year 5 gadgets could redefine the Operator
Ubisoft hopes to liberate players from fixed roles in the Rainbow Six Siege meta, bringing a taste of Operator signatures to secondary gadgets.
The best ways to keep your Surface Pro charged on the go
Are you often on the move without access to a wall outlet? Here are some options to keep your Surface Pro charged up while you're on the road.
The Super Bowl is finally here. Check out these must-see Windows apps
After an excellent regular season and a thrilling first few rounds of the NFL Playoffs, the Super Bowl is finally here. Here are the best Windows 10 apps to help you enjoy the big game.