What you need to know
- A new update is available for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.
- This update brings Dolby Vision support for devices that support it.
- Otherwise, you're looking at lots of bug fixes and improvements.
We're midway through the week, and Microsoft has dropped another weekly update for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel. This latest release adds support for Dolby Vision HDR, which should come as a nice surprise for anyone who happens to have a laptop that supports it. Otherwise, there's also support for using cards saved in MSPay on webpages, a keyboard shortcut for immersive reader, and a ton of fixes and improvements.
Here's a full look at what's new and fixed in Microsoft Edge Dev channel version 81.0.410.1.
- Added a keyboard shortcut to enter Immersive Reader mode.
- Enabled support for cards saved in MSPay to be used in webpages.
- Enabled Dolby Vision support for capable devices.
- Added support on Mac for reading PDFs protected with Microsoft Information Protection (MIP).
- Added a limit to the amount of text that can be added to an item in a Collection. Note that we are still measuring this limit and may adjust it in the future.
- Fixed a crash on startup when sync is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where certain websites crash upon load.
- Fixed a crash when starting a download.
- Fixed a crash when manually importing data from other browsers.
- Fixed a crash when searching for text on a webpage.
- Fixed an issue where deleted favorites sometimes re-appear when another device tries to sync.
- Fixed an issue where enabling Application Guard causes high CPU usage when idle.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where enabling SmartScreen causes high CPU usage when idle.
- Fixed an issue where there is sometimes a delay when opening a new window before anything loads.
- Fixed an issue where webpages that use the Windows credential prompt for logging in crash the browser when showing the prompt.
- Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes don't open.
- Fixed a browser crash when closing the Collections pane.
- Fixed an issue where opening the Collections pane sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed a crash when navigating to certain websites for Collections users.
- Fixed an issue where syncing a Collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane.
- Fixed a crash when closing the browser.
- Fixed a crash when closing the browser for users of extensions.
- Fixed an issue where disabling Internet Explorer in Windows and then attempting to use IE mode causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where websites sometimes don't load in Application Guard windows after updating Edge.
- Improved the reliability of syncing favorites with long names.
- Fixed an issue where Collections that are created while sync is off don't get synced once sync is turned back on.
- Fixed an issue where certain encrypted PDFs can't be opened.
- Fixed an issue where the trackpad gesture to scroll is sometimes interpreted as a right-click on certain devices. Note that this fix comes with the tradeoff of sometimes dropping the gesture to right-click (which is a two-finger tap by default), which will be fixed in the future.
- Fixed an issue where Edge's update progress reporting in Settings isn't accurate.
- Fixed an issue where swapping between the News and Office New Tab Page contents also resets the layout.
- Fixed an issue during the first run experience where clicking cancel when customizing which data types to sync results in those data types still being selected for sync.
- Improved messaging on the Sync Settings page for when a particular data type is disabled server-side even though sync in general is enabled and functional.
- Fixed an issue where the autoImportAtFirstRun management policy stopped working.
- Fixed an issue where certain data types sometimes aren't imported from another browser properly.
- Fixed an issue where websites that are pinned using the Pinning Wizard aren't pinned properly.
- Fixed an issue where clicking certain links in PDFs does nothing.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to scroll a webpage by very large amounts sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where scrolling on a webpage sometimes causes pages to jump to the beginning or end instead of scrolling the expected amount.
- Fixed an issue where the identity button has an incorrectly-colored background.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where the Translate icon sometimes is not seen in the address bar when it should be.
- Fixed an issue where dragging images into a Collection from certain websites fails.
- Fixed an issue where adding a page to a Collection sometimes results in the wrong image being used.
- Fixed an issue where data and images from certain websites aren't properly added to Collections.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to close a window after downloading a file in an IE mode tab sometimes results in a warning not to close the window due to an in-progress download even though the download already completed.
For more on this update, including a look at the current known issues, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes. If you're already using the Dev channel release, the update should be available to download now. Otherwise, you can check out the Microsoft Edge Insider builds now at the Edge Insider site or grab the release version of the new Edge.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Get early access to Windows 10 October 2020 update – here's how.
In this guide, we'll show you the steps to upgrade your computer to the final release of the Windows 10 October 2020 Update before it's officially available to everyone.
Windows 10 October 2020 Update moves closer to launch with Release Preview
The Windows 10 October 2020 Update is nearly ready for primetime. Microsoft began shipping the update to Release Preview Insiders today, which is the last stop before it will start its full rollout to the public.
Join us LIVE for the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30PM ET
We're LIVE with the Windows Central Video Podcast today at 2:30pm ET, make sure you're there!
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.