What you need to know
- Microsoft Edge Dev has an update available that brings it to version 96.0.1043.1.
- The update enables Picture in Picture support on Windows and adds a new feature for Windows 7.
- Several new management policies are also added following the update.
Microsoft Edge version 96.0.1043.1 recently rolled out to the Dev channel. The update brings Picture in Picture support to the browser and surprisingly adds Share support for Windows 7. Several new management policies also arrive with the latest update to Edge Dev.
Edge Dev version 96.0.1043.1 also completes the rollout of the ability to search the web for an image in the sidebar from the context menu.
Here's everything that's new in the latest version of Edge Dev:
- Added Share support to Windows 7.
- Enabled Picture in Picture support on Windows.
- Finished rolling out the ability to search the web for an image in the sidebar from the context menu.
- Management policies (note that updates to documentation or administrative templates may not have occurred yet):
- Added a policy to control if the Typosquatting Checker is Enabled, which is a feature that warns if the website being navigated to isn't the one that was intended because the address was mistyped.
- Added a policy to control if Renderer App Container support is Enabled, which controls if tab processes are created with extra security.
- Added a policy to control if Application Guard Upload Blocking in Enabled, which controls if files are allowed to be uploaded from Application Guard window.
- Added a policy to control when Efficiency Mode is active.
- Added a policy to control if the New SmartScreen Library is Enabled, which will be deprecated and removed along with the legacy SmartScreen library.
- Added a policy to control if Shared Links are Enabled, which controls access to the list in History of links shared by or to the user from other Microsoft 365 apps.
- Added a policy to configure Force Sync Types, which determines which types of data are required to be synced.
The update also improved reliability in several areas:
- Fixed an issue where using a to draw on a touchscreen sometimes causes a Blue Screen of Death.
- Fixed a crash when autofilling payment card info.
- Fixed an issue where new tabs sometimes immediately crash as soon as they're opened.
- Fixed an issue where certain shopping websites crash or are blank.
- Fixed a crash when closing the last window in a profile.
- Fixed a crash on launch if a Guest window was the last window closed during the previous session.
- Fixed a crash on startup after taking a major update.
- Fixed a crash on launch on mobile.
- Fixed a crash on Android 12.
You can read the complete changelog in Microsoft's Tech Community post (opens in new tab) on the update.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at email@example.com (opens in new tab).
MS adds a new feature in Edge for Windows 7 😅!!!!!!
Ahhhhh, Windows 7 is really a legend
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.