What you need to know
- A new Microsoft Edge Dev channel update is now available.
- The update brings inking improvements, along with lots of general bug fixes and more.
- This update is rolling out now as Edge version 80.0.345.0.
Microsoft shipped out another weekly update for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel today. This latest update packs a ton of general fixes and improvements, but the biggest highlight involves updates to the inking experience.
You'll now be able to erase your ink with the eraser side of a pen with this update. You can also now use the arrow keys and spacebar to draw on feedback screenshots in editor mode. Dark mode is now supported in more parts of the browser as well.
Here's a full look at the release notes for the latest Edge Dev channel release:
- Added support for erasing ink using the eraser side of a pen.
- Added support for using the arrow keys and spacebar to draw on feedback screenshots in editor mode.
- Added SmartScreen protection from downloading potentially unwanted apps.
- Added Extensions and Collections toggles to the sync Settings page but keeping them disabled in anticipation of syncing for those data types being enabled soon.
- Added dark theme support to certain UI that appears when the browser is managed by Group Policy.
- Added dark theme support to the local new tab page that is shown when the device isn't connected to the internet.
- Added a group policy to enforce whether or not headers and footers are added to printed pages.
- Fixed an issue where highlighting text on a webpage sometimes causes a browser crash.
- Fixed an issue where right-clicking sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the browser UI sometimes appears to hang or turn all black, but it still responds to input and can be fixed by killing the GPU process.
- Fixed an issue where using Read Aloud sometimes crashes the tab.
- Fixed a crash on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails on certain machines.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Word sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where adding multiple pages to a Collection from the same tab sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails or overwrites an existing exported Collection.
- Fixed an issue where users that are signed into Windows with a work or school account are unable to remove the "Work" account that is automatically added to Edge.
- Removed the link to Manage Favorites from the Other Favorites folder on the Favorites Bar.
- Changed the button in Settings that switches which profile is active to open a window to a new tab instead of to Settings.
- Fixed an issue where typing the address of a website that's already been visited doesn't properly autocomplete the name of the website in the address bar dropdown.
- Fixed an issue where some of the privacy links in the First Run Experience open in a new tab in the background instead of in a popup.
- Fixed an issue where clicking links in a Collection sometimes causes the Collections pane to show an error page.
- Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes causes a second empty card to appear as well.
- Fixed an issue where a Collection that's updated in one window sometimes isn't updated in another window.
- Fixed an issue where Collections that are exported to Word sometimes don't have the images get properly exported.
- Fixed an issue where items exported from a Collection have an incorrect date applied to each reference.
- Fixed an issue where invalid URLs can be dragged and dropped into a Collection.
- Fixed an issue where uninstalling PWAs or installed websites doesn't also prompt to delete browsing data for that site.
For more on this update, including a list of known issues, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes. Otherwise, Edge Dev version 80.0.345.0 is rolling out now for those who are already testing the browser. If you have yet to try the new Edge, you can download the Canary, Dev, and Beta channels from the Edge Insider site now.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Need a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port? Every PC here deserves a look.
Looking for a new laptop that has Thunderbolt 3 ports? Well, you're in luck, as we've rounded up what we think are the best Thunderbolt 3 enabled laptops available to buy today.
Windows 10 build 19546 arrives for Fast ring with graphing calculator
Microsoft pushed out another new Windows 10 Preview build for Windows Insiders on the Fast ring today. This build brings the build number up to 19546, and it includes a new graphing mode for the Calculator app.
Microsoft's ambitious climate plan aims to go carbon negative by 2030
Microsoft outlined an ambitious climate plan to go carbon negative in all of its operations by 2030. Further, the company plans to eliminate its entire historical carbon footprint by 2050 and has set up a $1 billion climate innovation fund.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.