What you need to know
- Password Monitor is rolling out to Microsoft Edge Dev and Canary.
- The feature helps you know when a password isn't safe to use anymore.
- Password Monitor checks your passwords against a database of breached credentials.
Microsoft Edge Dev and Canary now have a Password Monitor that lets you know when a password isn't safe anymore (via Techdows). Password Monitor checks your password against a database of breached credentials, letting you know that your password needs to be changed. Microsoft updated its page that breaks down Password Monitor yesterday.
As Microsoft points out, many people use the same password across multiple sites. That means that when there's a data breach for a site, people can try your password across other sites with some success. Hackers can use this method to hijack accounts and perform illegal or dangerous activities with someone else's account.
Password Monitor proactively checks the passwords you've saved in Edge against a database of breached credentials. According to Microsoft, your information is encrypted during this process and only you know the password that is compromised.
Here are the steps to turn on Password Monitor, as outlined by Microsoft:
- Make sure you're signed in to Microsoft Edge using your Microsoft account or your work or school account.
- In your browser settings, go to Profiles > Passwords.
- Turn on the toggle next to "Show alerts when passwords are found in an online leak". After the toggle is turned on, any unsafe passwords will be displayed on the Password Monitor page in your browser settings > Passwords.
If a password is compromised, you should change it immediately. You should also consider using a password manager to make more secure passwords that aren't used across multiple websites.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Minecraft Dungeons lead talks its next DLC and the future endgame
We talk Minecraft Dungeons’ recent Jungle Awakens DLC, the Creeping Winter expansion, and future endgame plans with game director, Måns Olson.
Fix up your Xbox Elite Controller with these parts
Need some replacement parts for your Xbox One Elite Controller? From new paddles, grips, bumpers, thumbsticks, and more, we have you covered.
Hands-on with Windows 10 build 20161 showcasing the new Start menu
Yesterday, Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 that includes an updated Start menu design with translucent Live Tiles, improvements to Notifications, and behavior changes to things like Tablet Mode and the Taskbar. It's been a while since Microsoft released a build with any surface-level changes, but now it's finally happened, we're back showcasing all the changes on video.
Here's what you can use to block ads on Edge
Ad blockers are a wonderful thing. They do exactly what they're supposed to: block ads when browsing the web. Here's the best for Microsoft Edge.