Although we know a lot about the Surface RT from Microsoft, there are still gaps in the finer details that you may want to know—either just for curiosity or because it factors into your decision on whether to buy one.
Luckily for you the Surface team to a Q&A session on Reddit yesterday and they answered quite a few question about the upcoming tablet. To help you sort through, we’ll summarize some of the main points…
- Surface supports Xbox 360 USB controllers for gaming
- USB will recognize almost all devices, including cameras and will charge your phone
- No NFC due to the Mag case interfering with the antenna
- 32GB device will have 20GB available for storage for apps/games; SD card is for movies, pictures and music
- SDXC is supported; cards can be swapped on the fly
- Touch Cover has a Microsoft invented smart digitizer, can infer if you meant to press the key or not
- TouchCover/TypeCover detect orientation relative to the Surface, so it will disable the KB when closed or flipped back
- Why no 3G/4G mobile broadband? Microsoft looked at tablet sales data: 2/3 WiFi, 1/3 Mobile Broadband. Of the 1/3 sold, only1/2 were ever activated.
- On the display not being super high resolution, Microsoft addresses this through a three pronged method: ClearType for pixel smoothing, Custom designed 10.6” high contrast wide angle screen and optically bonded the screen with the thinnest optical stack anywhere on the market. In turn, the reflectiveness of the Surface’s display is much lower than the iPad, resulting in higher contrast of colors and more visible detail
- Why no USB 3.0? Microsoft chose USB 2.0 instead of 3.0 based on capability of the ARM SoCs during their development timeframe.
Everything we know about Halo Infinite (so far)
Everything we know about Halo Infinite – Master Chief’s next big adventure headed to Xbox Series X, Xbox One, and PC.
Surface Duo bumpers in graphite, ember, and ice colors now available
If you're looking to spice up your Surface Duo, these new official protective bumpers in blue, red, or dark grey should do the job. Unfortunately, at $40, you'll have to think long and hard at which color you want.
RazerCon is happening on October 10th. Here is what you need to know.
Not doing anything Saturday, October 10th? Join Razer for its new annual live event, dubbed RazerCon. There will be games, live concerts, product announcements, contests, and giveaways ... and yes, it's all powered by Chroma RGB.
Finding Xbox One Wireless Controller replacement parts is easy
Here are all the replacement Xbox One controller parts you need for an easy fix.